Remote DE Government Underwriter
- Melville, NY
This position is Remote.
Will be responsible for underwriting residential loans ensuring compliance with appropriate company, secondary market investor standards and all applicable laws. The Underwriter will be responsible for examining loan documentation for accuracy and completeness; is involved in one or several types of mortgage lending including but not limited to conventional and FHA loans. Must be able to underwrite loans within the company and industry guidelines. The Underwriter will also be working with Loan Originators, Branch Managers and Processors to secure all required documents.
Essential Job Functions:
- Underwrites Conventional, FHA, and Special Program loans to verify for completeness, accuracy, and compliance
- Develops and maintains an up to date and sound knowledge of multiple loan product guidelines offered by the company, DU/LP guidelines, and risk assessment tools used to decision mortgage loans
- Reworks loans to new terms, identifies additional conditions as needed to insure a viable credit decision
- Reviews and evaluates borrower(s) profile including but not limited to all income documentation, tax returns, credit reports, preliminary report, judgments, bankruptcy documents and appraisals
- Analyzes and calculates income documentation such as personal and business income statements and ensures all necessary documentation is requested to support final loan decisions
- Exercises good judgment, conducts reasonableness tests and issues quality decisions
- Determines accuracy and completeness of files; ensures processes are consistent
- Demonstrates proficiency in automated underwriting systems (DU, LP)
- Maintains a sound knowledge of secondary market activity, practices, and business/industry practices as they impact underwriting quality and origination activity
- Maintains pre-established service level standard of decisions within a 48-hour time frame set by the company
- Communicates regularly with sales team, processors and management
- Assists in the preparation of repurchase responses and/or rebuttal reviews
- Ability to function in an ever-changing environment and work across all business channels in Underwriting (Retail/CC/Wholesale) as needed
Supervisory Responsibilities:This job has no supervisory responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Appraisal review and tax return analysis skills required
- Prior credit signing authority a plus
- Experience with repurchase response and/or rebuttal review and response preparation
- Secondary market experience a plus
- Understanding of TILA, RESPA and Predatory Lending
- Strong analytical and decision making/problem solving skills
- Possess a keen eye for accuracy, attention to detail and ability to handle a high volume work load
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Proficient in computers including LOS systems, Microsoft Office and Excel. Ability to adapt/ learn/utilize multiple software programs. Experience with paperless environment preferred.
- Ability to type/use a keyboard with sufficient speed to meet job demands
- Ability to deliver effective results and to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Self-starter, adapt to a changing environment and have the ability to communicate and work well with Investors and co-workers. Possess clear, concise and effective written and oral communication skills
- Professional demeanor in appearance, interpersonal relations, work ethic and attitude
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED Required
- BA or BS preferred
- Minimum 5 years of current frontline mortgage Underwriting required
- ACTIVE CHUMS ID REQUIRED.
- DE DESIGNATION REQUIRED
- ACTIVE LAPP/SAR and CHUMS ID DE required
Language Skills:Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, memos, and work place policies. Ability to analyze, interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write professional correspondences. Ability to write routine business reports. Ability to speak effectively with other employees and/or customers. Ability to present formal information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, students, parents and/or other employees. Ability to present information and respond to questions from groups of administrators, managers, employees, customers and/or the general public.
Mathematical Skills:Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability:Ability to carry out detailed written and/or verbal instructions. Ability to solve problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- ACTIVE CHUMS ID REQUIRED.
Customer Service Relationships:
Anticipates customer needs and regularly motivates or influences others to deliver customer service excellence. May troubleshoot highly sensitive or confidential issues. Personally ensures problem resolution. Identifies barriers to effective customer service and sets customer service standards. Establishes a customer feedback system and holds self-accountable for customer service excellence within the department.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employer's Rights:This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks and functions listed in this job description. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Founded in Mount Laurel, NJ in 1990, Freedom Mortgage has since grown into one of the largest and fastest-growing privately owned full-service residential lenders in the USA. Licensed in all 50 states, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, Freedom Mortgage has over 5000 employees nationwide, proudly servicing $225.6 billion, and is still growing.
Our mission is to foster homeownership in America. Freedom is a leader in VA mortgage lending and is one of the mortgage industry's largest philanthropic supporters of the USO and military families through its Team Freedom Cares philanthropic arm.
Locations include suburban Philadelphia and Fishers, IN, two regions where we were named Top Workplaces. We also have large operating centers countrywide, including these desirable markets: Beaverton , OR; Boca Raton, FL; Columbia, MD; Jacksonville, FL; Melville, NY; Plano, TX; San Dimas, CA; Tempe, AZ; Troy, MI and Woodbridge, VA.
If you seek a sense of community, top training, opportunity for advancement, a comprehensive benefits package and reward and recognition program, look no further.
Freedom Mortgage Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or their status as a protected veteran or an individual with disabilities. Local applicants encouraged to apply. Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation. Smoke-free workplace. Drug-free work environment. Excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision and 401(k). All resumes are held in confidence. Only candidates whose profiles closely match requirements will be contacted during this search. LENDER NMLS ID:2767
Equal Opportunity Employer- Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Back to top