Primary purpose of job:
The Community Kitchen is seeking a Kitchen Assistant to provide the basic daily support of all aspects of prep and kitchen assistance in our fast paced high volume Community Kitchen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with the preparation of home-cooked, nutritious meals and serving meals up to 1000 community residents on a daily basis by adhering to existing work practices.
- Ensure chef has necessary ingredients for food preparation by sorting & distributing ingredients to the appropriate work areas.
- Follow instructions and strict food hygiene, health, safety and food preparation techniques for washing, peeling, chopping, cutting, and cooking foodstuff and preparing salads and desserts.
- Complies with all sanitation, health, cleaning and housekeeping procedures when washing work surface, equipment, work area, floors, walls and disposing of rubbish.
- Direct and oversee volunteers during food preparation.
- Carry out tasks quickly, competently and within designated time frame.
- Perform basic support duties as product storage, FIFO, inventory, ware washing as well as equipment cleaning and proper storage.
- Maintain temperature logs of the food and cold storage area.
- Cross-train for other positions within the Community Kitchen and attend training courses as appropriate.
- Ability to lift 30-50 lbs and move that weight 20 feet
- Carry out any other reasonable duties within the overall unction of the job.
- Prefer a valid ServSafe and/or Food Protection certification
- High School Diploma or equivalent plus 2-5 years culinary training and/or experience
- Team player with excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to carry out tasks quickly and competently
- Ability to follow instructions
- Good communication skills
- Enthusiasm and the ability to use your initiative and work in a team
- Commitment to the Mission and Values of Food Bank For New York City