VP of Content
- New York, NY
In this time of national reckoning, we at Food52 are having hard conversations about our role in a food media landscape that overlooks marginalized voices. We're committed to building a community that values and honors the contributions of the Black, Indigenous, and POC communities to our shared culinary experience—starting with the Food52 family. You can read about our support of the Black Lives Matter movement here.
As part of an ongoing initiative, we are focusing our efforts to put diversity, equity, and inclusion at the center of our hiring process and our company culture—and build a team that better reflects our desire for equal representation in everything we do. Our goal is systemic change at Food52.
Food52 is an award-winning innovator in the kitchen and home space, using a unique commerce, content and community business model to reach a community of over 24 million cooks and home enthusiasts. We’re passionate about giving our deeply-engaged audience everything they need to eat thoughtfully and live joyfully. Having recently closed our largest round of financing to date, we are now accelerating our growth and are looking for an entrepreneurial, accomplished content leader who is obsessed with strategy, experimentation, and growth to head up our 30+ person editorial, copy, creative, video, and project management teams in New York City.
Reporting to our Chief Executive Officer, the VP of Content will be responsible for setting our content strategy and rapidly expanding our reach across platforms while producing the best cooking and home content in the world. In this role, you’ll formulate Food52’s content strategy, accelerate our following across channels, and collaborate closely with the Brand Partnerships, Shop and Partnerships team leads to achieve incredible growth and provide our community with the best, most comprehensive resource for cooking and home.
- Results-oriented: You love setting and working toward goals, and understand how to use numbers to gain insight into audience behavior and unlock growth opportunities.
- Entrepreneurial: You have a passion for content strategy and are obsessed with innovating within the complex media landscape in order to reach new audiences
- Reader-centric: You have a track record of using data and domain expertise to craft editorial franchises and concepts that increase readership and engagement
- Nimble: You’re incredibly flexible and resilient, particularly in moments of change
- Collaborative: You’re a master at getting things done cross-functionally and believe it’s about the team, not the individual
- Team-oriented: You’re a natural leader who is as motivated to develop a great team as you are in driving execution and company success
- Ensure Food52 has the right content, the right brand presence, and strong engagement on every major social channel by the end of 2020 (Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.)
- Formulate and execute a talent-focused content strategy that allows us to reach 50 percent of Americans between the ages of 25 and 50 by the end of 2021, while maximizing performance across channels and efficiency across teams
- Attract, recruit, and retain top editorial talent through both staff hires and contributors
- Nurture a team culture that prioritizes quick testing, evaluation, and iteration on new growth channels
- Give direct reports autonomy and treat them as business owners; hold them accountable to growth and efficiency goals each day, week, and month
- Expand Food52’s exceptional editorial beyond kitchen and home into travel and wellness and find new ways to keep our community engaged
- Work closely with our product and brand partnerships teams to develop and successfully execute brand partnerships
- Continuously assess Food52’s formats (text, video, short form media, infographics) and channels to make sure Food52 is making the highest-impact investments
- Lead experimentation on all new platforms and content formats for Food52; develop several distinctive and recognizable formats across each platform
- A minimum of 8 years of editorial leadership and/or audience development experience
- Deep digital media, content, social and search expertise
- A passion for content that’s as unwavering as your passion for cooking and home
- Analytical approach to content development
- Proven track record of developing new talent and editorial franchises and exceeding growth targets
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, productive relationships with people and teams in all contexts
- Excellent communication, decision-making and organizational skills
- Sharply-honed visual and brand sensibility
- Creative problem solving skills and ability to work across teams and gain buy-in
- Competitive salary
- Performance bonus
- 401(k) plan
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits
- Unlimited vacation plus Summer & Winter weeks
- Flexible hours and working arrangements
- So many snacks!
Back to top