Senior Back-End Engineer
- Flexible / Remote
In this time of national reckoning, we at Food52 are having hard conversations about our role in a food media landscape that overlooks marginalized voices. We're committed to building a community that values and honors the contributions of the Black, Indigenous, and POC communities to our shared culinary experience—starting with the Food52 family. You can read about our support of the Black Lives Matter movement here.
As part of an ongoing initiative, we are focusing our efforts to put diversity, equity, and inclusion at the center of our hiring process and our company culture—and build a team that better reflects our desire for equal representation in everything we do. Our goal is systemic change at Food52.
We're looking for a Senior Back-End Software Engineer who loves to write code in a collaborative team environment. Promising candidates have a solid foundation in backend development, testing, strong knowledge of common architectural patterns and have expanded their skills over time. As much as they love to code, they are also contributors, supporters, mentors, and active participants in making our platform better, easier to use, and more innovative every day. The ideal candidates have an eagerness to experiment, a determination to contribute meaningfully, and a drive to recognize problems and work with the team to resolve them while always maintaining a sense of humor.
Our Product and Engineering team consists of the product managers, designers, and engineers who build the systems that Food52 uses to produce amazing editorial content and a shopping experience that delights our users. Our team of software engineers works with our VP of Engineering as well as our Product team to design and develop systems that run Food52.com. Our website is written in Ruby on Rails with primarily React on the client side. The back end is powered by a combination of PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, GraphQL and Memcached. We work as a mixed remote and onsite team and encourage remote candidates to apply.
- Write code to implement new features in our custom content-and-commerce platform while maintaining code integrity
- Refactor code to make it better, faster, and more resilient and add to our ever-expanding automated testing suite
- Help our team improve the quality of our code through thoughtful collaboration, code reviews, and other software engineering best practices
- Collaborate with team members in designing the architecture of new features, estimating their cost and planning implementations while always keeping reliability, maintainability, and security in mind
- Mentor and develop less experienced engineers
- Deliver on time and communicate status, issues, and concerns effectively throughout the lifecycle of a project
- Lead technical initiatives as necessary by documenting, planning, gaining consensus, and working closely with product managers
- Support the integrity of our infrastructure with a willingness to monitor and contribute to our existing suite of performance tracking and reporting tools
What a Typical Week Looks Like
- Attend sprint planning and estimation meetings with Product and Engineering to talk about upcoming projects, potential roadblocks, and ticket prioritization
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to more junior members of the team
- Code review peer projects to encourage well tested and performant codeWrite technical specification documents to plan and document new project architecture and design
- Lead triage efforts and work to fix issues that get reported through our internal helpdesk with the aid of tools like Airbrake and Datadog
- Attend our weekly Engineering all-hands to learn about new projects, hear about interesting bugs, contribute to process changes, and hang with the team!
- 5+ years experience writing code in a professional environment with increasing responsibility
- Solid background in web technologies, including a deep understanding of how a modern web application works end to end and how applications perform under load
- Deep experience with Ruby on Rails or a comparable backend framework
- Broad understanding of principles and best practices in software design and implementation
- Experience architecting and building complex and scalable systems from scratch and working with a team to implement
- Deep experience with SQL, relational databases, and database design principles
- Familiarity and integration experience with a broad range of AWS services
- Experience integrating and communicating with more than one 3rd party service or API; ability to lead integration efforts and represent the interests of the Engineering team to 3rd-party technical representatives
- Experience participating in Agile processes
- Ability to handle schedules and priorities and communicate appropriately about them
- Optional but also great are e-commerce experience and a love of food and cooking
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefit options (including some that are free for you!), flexible spending account, and any-time access to professional mental health advice
- Annual bonus plan
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Free life and AD&D insurance
- Unlimited vacation days (including two company-wide weeks off for Summer Week & Winter Week!)
- Discounted gym memberships and a free Citibike membership
- Pre-tax commuter benefit plan
- Flexible hours and working arrangements
- So many snacks!
Food52 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of one's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. Food52 will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local "Fair Chance" laws.
Back to top