- New York, NY
In this time of national reckoning, we at Food52 are having hard conversations about our role in a food media landscape that overlooks marginalized voices. We're committed to building a community that values and honors the contributions of the Black, Indigenous, and POC communities to our shared culinary experience—starting with the Food52 family. You can read about our support of the Black Lives Matter movement here.
As part of an ongoing initiative, we are focusing our efforts to put diversity, equity, and inclusion at the center of our hiring process and our company culture—and build a team that better reflects our desire for equal representation in everything we do. Our goal is systemic change at Food52.
Food52 is an award-winning innovator in the kitchen and home space, using a unique commerce, content, and community business model to reach a community of over 24 million cooks and home enthusiasts. We’re passionate about giving our deeply engaged audience everything they need to eat thoughtfully and live joyfully.
We are looking for a Product Designer who will make a significant impact in helping to shape our ever-expanding commerce and content experiences at Food52. Reporting to the Senior Director of Design & UX, you will craft modern, beautiful designs that push the brand’s digital presence forward, all while maintaining a religious devotion to the primary goals of usability and first-class customer experience. You will be joining a small but mighty team of designers, working across the full-range of the design process from in-depth research and wireframes to visual execution, prototyping, and user-testing. You will also partner very closely with product managers and engineers to bring these experiences to life.
The ideal candidate understands that striking visuals should work in service to overall functionality, and that goal-oriented designs which achieve the perfect intersection of addressing the needs of the business with the needs of the user are what take a feature from good to extraordinary. You are a strategic, out-of-the-box thinker with a passion for keeping up with the latest design and interaction trends, and you have a unique appreciation for examining the data around user behavior which directly informs your design choices. You have an obsession with detail, and are comfortable with meeting deadlines, working fast, responding to feedback, and collaborating closely with different teams. You’ll be a critical part of bringing our content, shop, and brand vision to life by creating meaningful experiences for users across multiple platforms and channels.
- Craft thoughtful sketches, wireframes, visual designs, and prototypes for a wide range of on-site experiences defined by the product roadmap and overall company goals.
- Conduct competitive analysis and general research across different digital platforms and make recommendations for creative, impactful design solutions.
- Collaborate closely with product managers and external team stakeholders to understand and help shape product requirements, define goals, and utilize data to inform designs.
- Lead usability testing efforts when needed, to help guide and iterate on user flows and interactions.
- Present designs to key stakeholders in design reviews, clearly outlining methodology and motivations behind designs.
- Help develop and maintain a cohesive Design Language System that can be utilized consistently across the brand.
- Support with production, troubleshooting, and QA as needed.
- Assist in workflow process, preparing production-ready assets and maintaining standards of documentation.
- Evangelize a user-focused, mobile-first way of thinking throughout the company.
- 2+ years of experience in product design, ideally at an e-commerce, technology, media, or lifestyle company
- An exceptional portfolio showing beautiful design work with a strong sense of typography, color theory, and grid systems
- Experience with crafting thoughtful wireframes, user flows, and prototypes at various fidelity levels, with a good grasp of UX best practices and principles
- Expertise with standard design tools such as Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
- Experience with prototyping tools such as InVision, Figma, and Principle (or others) is a plus
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefit options (including some that are free for you!), flexible spending account, and any-time access to professional mental health advice
- Annual bonus plan
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Free life and AD&D insurance
- Unlimited vacation days (including two company-wide weeks off for Summer Week & Winter Week!)
- Discounted gym memberships and a free Citibike membership
- Pre-tax commuter benefit plan
- Flexible hours and working arrangements
- So many snacks!
Back to top