Senior Systems Engineer
In the role of Senior Systems Engineer, you’ll be responsible for effective provisioning, configuration, operation, and maintenance of our systems hardware and software and overall infrastructure. You will play a critical role as an influencer, embedding yourself across various teams to focus on the operational aspects of our services. You will be obsessive about maintaining robust, high performance web and cloud-based systems at scale. You’ll be responsible designing fault-tolerant mechanisms for keeping distributed systems healthy, and developing proactive monitoring back to the DevOps team and other development teams within the Engineering department.
The ideal candidate has an appetite to make a significant impact on the design and implementation of our infrastructure and gets excited about building scalable, highly available systems. This role will report directly to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Participate in the evolution of existing Fluxx tools and processes to support provisioning AWS infrastructure and deploying new code
- Facilitate implementing and enforcing policies and processes to ensure a high level of availability and quality of service for Fluxx’s applications, both internal and external
- Implement and manage continuous delivery systems and methodologies on AWS
- Define and deploy monitoring, metrics, and logging systems. Utilize monitoring tools to find problems, resolve and/or escalate to development
- Implement systems that are highly available, scalable, and self-healing on the AWS platform
- Script / automate core processes to improve efficiency as well as platform availability
- Ensure highest availability of the platform and its core services
- Debug incidents, escalate and follow through until resolution has been achieved
- Participate in on-call rotation to ensure 24/7 coverage
- Partner with other teams to share tools, expertise, and create effective solutions
HERE’S WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Strong scripting/Automating skills using any of the following languages: Python, Ruby etc.
- Hands-on experience with cloud infrastructure technologies, including continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, configuration management with Git, Chef or Puppet, systems monitoring and alerting with tools such as Nagios, New Relic, Graphite
- Experience with provisioning and deploying SAAS-based applications in AWS
- Ability to solve operational issues through engineering automated solutions
- 4+ years experience in Systems Engineering/DevOps role is required, ideally in a startup or fast growing company
- Excellent knowledge of Unix
- Experience with MySQL
- Proficiency with NoSQL systems, preferably Redis
- Experience running search indexes (Lucene, ElasticSearch) at scale a plus
- Adept at troubleshooting and administering Unix systems, dealing with networking issues, setting up databases, and fine tuning instrumentation and alerting systems
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or the equivalent
Meet Some of Fluxx's Employees
Development Operations Manager
Colin keeps Fluxx’s software platforms up and running. He wears many hats, but spends much of his time on the company’s production workload for Amazon web services.
Back to top