Instructor, Technical Cybersecurity
Flatiron School is looking for an Instructor, Technical Cybersecurity to support cybersecurity education.
Instructors are mid to senior level cybersecurity professionals who show exemplary cybersecurity, experience and leadership skills. Their primary duties are to support cohorts across each phase of the program in multiple ways: By overseeing student teams and empowering them to follow and improve on their cybersecurity analytics; by providing immediate feedback on student deliverables and resources for further work; by advocating for student needs and overall wellness; and by elevating successes and concerns to staff. Instructors serve multiple roles that overlap.
- You will create, fine-tune and execute dynamic applied Cyber Security curriculum to build the next generation of entry-level cybersecurity professionals. This role reports to the Lead Instructor.
How this role will spend their time:
- 50% - Instruction - Primary Function
- 40% - Preparation for Instruction / Mentoring and Supporting Students / Content Development ~ Refinement
- 10% - Independent Research / Professional Development
Additional duties include:
- Ensuring successful completion of Academy instruction (directly or indirectly)
- Assistance with Academy Leadership Team in strategic growth initiatives
- Curriculum refinement and development in concert with master teaching schedule creation; Feedback to Director of Education on necessary curriculum mods or shortcomings
- Mentoring of students to ensure 90+% retention rate
- Performing technical interviews with potential students during the enrollment process
- Other duties as assigned
- Critical Capabilities for Success in Role
- Network Security Desired Skills
- Extensive experience with TCP/IP networking (physical and virtual) and protocols such as DHCP, IP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, RIP, STP, RSTP, VTP, and DNS.
- Experience with router/switch configuration and administration, ethernet and wireless networking, VPN, remote access, and configurations of endpoints connected to a corporate network.
- Subject matter expertise with common operating system internals, network packet capture tools such as Wireshark, Network Miner, and network discovery tools such as NMAP.
- Current Cisco CCNA (CCNA Security and higher desirable) Additional industry certifications from Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA, EC-Council, SANS, etc. are preferred.
Systems Security Desired Skills
- Extensive experience with Linux, Windows, and iOS. Subject matter expertise with Microsoft Windows operating systems including console/terminal usage and Active Directory.
- Advanced knowledge of Malware Analysis tools such as Ollydbg, IDAPro, and Sysinternals is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of TTPs to avoid Cross-Site Scripting (XSS), Cross-Site Request Forgery, SQL injection, and other current attack methodologies to include password cracking with dictionaries and rainbow tables.
- Advanced knowledge of assessing system security requirements based on risks to confidentiality, integrity, and availability (CIA Triad) by selecting an appropriate security control baseline, applying and validating security control implementation, performing security assessments, and maintaining security posture by prioritizing vulnerabilities for remediation.
- Advanced knowledge of various IPS, IDS, and SEIM platforms to Logs and Detection.
- Security applications such as firewall administration and experience in digital forensics tools (FTK, EnCase, etc.) is a plus.
About SecureSet x Flatiron School
SecureSet has emerged as the premier cybersecurity education provider. We have recently joined forces with the Flatiron School as we continue to educate the next generation of expert cybersecurity problem-solvers. Cyber security is one of the most headline-grabbing topics and industries of our time and affects virtually every aspect of our lives.
There are few greater global challenges you could work on than the ones we love to work on everyday. If you thrive in a fast-paced, high growth, mission-oriented environment where you can actually have a positive impact on the world, then consider joining our team at Flatiron School. We are looking for individuals who are as committed to as we are. Flatiron School’s campuses are places of community, learning, and growth.
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School teaches passionate, creative people how to launch careers in tech. We’ve been teaching since 2012, and now offer programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity to bring our successful curriculum to more students. We are more than just a school — we are a team of mission-driven individuals trying to align education with reality. Since our inception in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of students with skills, community, and an immersive outcomes-driven program. To achieve these outcomes, we’ve never let ourselves stop growing – we’ve constantly iterated on our curriculum, evolved our teaching techniques, and created technology to improve our students’ learning experience.
For the next step in our growth, Flatiron School has joined the WeWork family. In WeWork, we’ve found a partner who shares the mission we’ve had since the beginning: to enable passionate people to learn the skills they need to pursue careers and lives they love. And that mission won’t change. As part of WeWork, we look forward to working together to expand our in-person and online programs and further increase accessibility to our transformative education.
Back to top