Lead Hardware Systems Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Lead Hardware Systems Engineer
Fivestars is a leading network of small businesses and consumers focused on helping local communities, binding them together through a loyalty program. Last year we drove over 80 million in-store visits leveraging over 35 million users. At present we are looking for a leader in the hardware space.
As part of the Engineering team at Fivestars, our mission is to deliver applications which impact and improve the day to day lives of small business owners and consumers using our products across our network. We ship products on tablets and currently deploy thousands of tablets per month to our merchants. As our hardware demands continue to grow, we are investing in our internal processes around hardware testing, hardware design, monitoring and life-cycle management.
Who you are:
You are experienced in the domain of consumer electronics with a track record of using your knowledge of digital circuits to uncover and troubleshoot problems. You have likely hacked together things in a scripting language (preferably Python or Bash) to automate tasks for yourself or for your workplace. You want to have ownership over your work and bring the reliability of a distributed hardware network to the next level.
What you’ll do as a leader:
- Build and lead a small team of dedicated hardware engineers
- Communicate and collaborate with product managers and software engineers to support our in-store products
- Manage tablet and accessories life-cycle from specification to operation and retirement
- Work with our Support team to resolve hardware issues in the field
- Have a deep understanding of RF and power as they relate to portable electronics devices and be able to communicate concerns around their operation to the rest of Product Development and Leadership
- Manage and improve our tablet staging process to ensure inbound and outbound quality (IQC/OQC) along with our Supply Chain team
What you’ll do as an engineer:
- Have a competence in system design with a focus on field operations - we run a large distributed system comprised of tens of thousands of devices!
- Deliver new hardware systems that support our novel Saas SMB products into the world
- Create tablet performance benchmarking for qualifying new tablet hardware
- Analyze hardware data (battery life, power up/down events, etc) to identify problem hardware and tablet life expectancy across our fleet in the field
- Write code to integrate hardware on an as-needed basis.
What we’re looking for:
- B.S or greater in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field
- 7+ years of experience
- Previous experience in a lead role preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Experience troubleshooting consumer electronics
- Working knowledge of statistics and experience with hardware data analysis
- Excel at structured and quantitative thinking and problem solving
- Experience working with distributors and/or overseas manufacturers
Who we are:
FiveStars is a rewards and marketing platform for local businesses and the communities they serve. Over 12,000 businesses across the US and Canada use FiveStars’ easy, all-in-one marketing program, and over 25 million consumers participate in the FiveStars rewards network to support local businesses. In 2016, FiveStars drove over 54 million in-store visits across its network. We have raised $105 million from top-tier investors including HarbourVest, Menlo Ventures, Lightspeed, DCM, and Y-Combinator. Based in San Francisco, FiveStars’ mission is to help businesses and communities thrive by turning every transaction into a relationship.
FiveStars provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, FiveStars complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary is negotiable.
Back to top