About the Position
On a mission to ingest and structure open government data, FiscalNote’s software engineers lay the foundation to model policy outcomes. This data powers our Government Relationship Management platform -- a cutting-edge software product that helps organizations better understand and act on government activity. By making government more accessible, we are lowering the barrier for entry into regulated industries. FiscalNote allows organizations big and small to take control of their government strategy.
- Design, build, and support backend services for processing, serving, and managing open data. Our backend technologies include: Python, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ
- Structure data which represents the policymaking processes of multiple branches of government across a multitude of localities.
- Expand our platform backend to support new sources of open government data.
- Identify relationships between different data sets (e.g. legislators sponsoring legislation). Prepare data for analytics such as categorization, forecast models, sentiment analysis
- Notify users of relevant data updates
- Enable users to organize data across disparate datasets.
- Build scalable ways to detect and address issues in our services.
Looking to build something worth being proud of. Ready to take on ambitious projects that stretch the limit of your abilities, you enjoy the process of collaborating with team members to overcome technical challenges. You see projects through to the end and ensure that the best decisions for the team, not necessarily your ideas, are what take precedence. You look forward to learning to use your strengths for maximum impact, and also delight in learning as much as you can in engineering-rich environments.
- Professional software development experience (internship at minimum)
- Strength in an object-oriented programming language (Python preferred)
- Experience with a dynamic programming language (Python preferred)
- End-user experience with SQL databases Experience using a version control system (Git preferred)
- An understanding of software development best practices
- Backend microservices experience -- a plus
- Communicate effectively about technical mattersImplement timely solutions to address complex problems
- Readjust quickly when priorities shift
- Work with data representations of messy government processes
- Strive for clean, robust, and maintainable code
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use.
Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture. FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and drive by opening data to help impact the world around them.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer a comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options including a Flexible spending account. We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at www.fiscalnote.com/careers.
FiscalNote is an Equal Opportunity Employer