About the Position
We never rest in our quest to capture the most relevant and timely data possible. Our software engineers work at the tip of the FiscalNote spear, continuously aggregating large quantities of real-time open data. FiscalNote data scientists and policy experts rely on our software engineers to formulate and implement inventive methods of data collection in order to provide the top-tier analysis expected by our customers.
Data acquisition is only the beginning, though. Excitement about building tools and frameworks to assess and address data issues is a basic characteristic of our software engineers. You will not be siloed, but rather, encouraged to reveal and attack any issues that need dealing with, data-related or not. You will be given the freedom to explore our business and our technology… and make it better. If you want to be empowered to work beyond basic expectations and join an engineering team energized to create what’s never been seen, you’re the ideal FiscalNote engineer.
Creative. Ambitious. Communicative. Driven. You yearn to exercise your abilities in a greater capacity than on a tiny feature of a much larger product. Lending your talents across our entire stack, you not only love sharing your savvy with the team, but also crave the opportunity to absorb any and all knowledge from our hyper-collaborative environment. Your appreciation (bordering on obsession) for clean code and attention to detail have helped you shine brightly at previous positions. You’re tickled by the idea of implementing inventive uses of older technologies, but even more revved at the idea of leveraging the most modern tools, frameworks, and languages.
- 2 + years of experience programming
- Advanced knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Database management experience with PostgreSQL and/or MongoDB
- Data extraction experience with strong understanding of thread-based and event-based paradigms
- Strong communication skills
- Undergraduate and/or graduate degree in engineering, computer science, or related technical field (Preferred)
Current Engineering Projects Include
- Incorporating machine learning and natural language processing in our web crawlers and data quality validation platform to constantly improve the quality of our data
- Designing and implementing streaming data pipeline to ensure real-time availability
- Creating a system for automatic validation of ingested real-time data
- Creating and iterating appropriate schema and infrastructure for data acquisition
About Engineering at FiscalNote
Our team has a wealth of diverse life and career experiences that allow us to think outside of the box and ahead of the curve. And we laugh – all the time. You'll get the opportunity to work at an institution pushing the boundaries of open data transparency, while collaborating with some of the industry’s brightest engineers and data scientists to devise, nurture, and implement cutting-edge solutions to continuously evolving engineering obstacles.
In becoming a FiscalNoter, you’ll enjoy a plethora of benefits that you would expect at both an established company and at a startup. More importantly, though, is the opportunity to develop software that impacts real decisions -- decisions that substantially affect governing in the US and abroad. You will hone your engineering skills among peers just as motivated and skilled as you are, and in the process, develop a tight-knit camaraderie that will transcend simple software development.