About the Position
On a mission to ingest and structure open government data, FiscalNote’s software engineers lay the foundation to model policy outcomes. This data powers our Government Relationship Management platform -- a cutting-edge software product that helps organizations better understand and act on government action. By making government more accessible, we are lowering the barrier for entry into regulated industries. FiscalNote allows organizations big and small to take control of their government strategy.
Data Management Team Responsibilities:
- Design, build, and support backend services for processing, serving, and managing open data. Our backend technologies include: Python, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ
- Structure data which represents the policymaking processes of multiple branches of government across a multitude of localities. Expand our platform backend to support new sources of open government data.
- Identify relationships between different data sets (e.g. legislators sponsoring legislation). Prepare data for analytics such as categorization, forecast models, sentiment analysis.
- Notify users of relevant data updates.
- Enable users to organize data across disparate datasets.
- Build scalable ways to detect and address issues in our services.
Looking to build something worth being proud of. You challenge assumptions of what is possible, relentlessly looking for ways to solve the toughest problems. You enjoy being challenged by capable coworkers and always strive to reach the best decisions, but are always open to being proven wrong. You care to see things through and ensure best outcomes -- never being content to just do your part. When confronted with a challenging problem, you prefer to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty -- always seeing the issue through to completion.
- Write clean, robust, and maintainable code
- Develop and reinforce technical standards and practices for the team
- Ensure uptime and performance of production systems
- Design, communicate, and lead development of timely solutions to complex problems
- Advise coworkers on effective ways to match business priorities to technical solutions
- Identify existing and future technical debt, expose its cost, and fight to avoid and reduce it
- Mentor other engineers
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience leading a project from initial conception (including architectural design/review) to completion
- Experience supporting a production environment including occasional on-call escalations
- Experience performing code reviews and providing feedback to team members
- Mastery of an object-oriented programming language (Python ideal)
- Working knowledge of a dynamic programming language (Python ideal)
- Working knowledge of Object Relational Mapping (ORM) frameworks (SQLAlchemy ideal)
- Working knowledge of SQL databases (PosgtreSQL ideal)
- Apache Lucene/Solr, ElasticSearch or Thrift experience - a plus
- Experience with cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform) - a plus
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use.
Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture. FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values, which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com
FiscalNote is an Equal Opportunity Employer