About the Position
FiscalNote’s software engineers are creating a cutting-edge product that allows organizations big and small to take control of their government strategy. We have the colossal task of making policy documents accessible accessible and actionable. Our data backend interfaces with sources that are frequently brittle and obsolete to provide reliable, timely, and accurate information - at scale.
Backend engineers at FiscalNote design, build, and support services for processing, serving, and managing data. We are constantly expanding our platform backend to represent more policymaking activities of more branches of government across more jurisdictions. At the same time, we are creating new ways to retrieve and organize the millions of documents on our platform.
Looking to build something worth being proud of. You challenge assumptions of what is possible, relentlessly looking for ways to solve the toughest problems. You enjoy being challenged by capable coworkers and always fight to reach the best decisions. You are open to being proven wrong. You care to see things through and ensure the right outcome, not being content to just do “your part”. When you see a challenging issue, you prefer to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty.
- Write clean, robust, and maintainable code
- Design, communicate, and lead development of solutions to complex problems
- Advise coworkers on effective ways to match business priorities to technical solutions
- Develop and reinforce technical standards and practices for the team
- Ensure uptime and performance of production systems
- Mentor other engineers, bringing out the best in them
- Mastery of git, Unix systems, and a modern programming language (Python preferred)
- Led projects from initial conception (including architectural design/review) to completion
- Experience scaling out, optimizing, and maintaining production systems
- Experience developing networked services
- Knowledge of the available open-source backend technologies and the ability to select the right tool for the job
- Familiarity with dependency injection or asynchronous programming a plus
- ElasticSearch, Docker, PostgreSQL, SQLAlchemy, or Twisted experience a plus
The FiscalNote GRM platform is the most effective solution for managing government impact and public issues and is quickly becoming the cloud platform of choice for global brands as they analyze and manage their government risk, opportunity, and influence at the local, state, federal, and international levels. More than 200 companies rely on FiscalNote GRM and its services.
Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture. FiscalNote earned the Top Workplace™ award for our ever growing and diverse company culture bolstered by our company values which are at the core of every decision we make. We are always looking for individuals who are excited and driven by opening data to help impact the world around them.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FIscalNote is an EEOC.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify