VP, Scripted Programming
Topic Studios, First Look Media’s entertainment division, is looking for a key team member of our Programming and Development Department. The VP of Scripted Programming will source and develop for, as well as help package and pitch projects to the television and digital community. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The role will report into the SVP of Programming & Development (located in NYC) and will be based in Los Angeles.
- Field television pitches, read specs, identify new business opportunities and secure new talent with the goal of putting projects in development.
- Help maintain the strategic development goals of the department by identifying trends, brainstorming ideas, determining needs, etc.
- Build and maintain relationships with production partners, including studio executives, producers, writers, directors, actors, agents, managers.
- Oversee active development and projects in production; be day-to-day point of contact with production partners, network executives for active projects.
- Work closely with various departments internally to communicate information and act as a liaison for the department’s projects.
- The position reports to the SVP, Television & Digital Programming. It is based in LA.
Background & Qualifications:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in television/film industry.
- Minimum 3 years in creative executive capacity, preferably in television development
- Strong knowledge of premium cable and streaming space
- Strong relationships with agents, managers, writers and producers
- Experience in either generating and taking pitches for a production company and/or taking and generating pitches for a network or studio
- Good eye for talent and hands on experience giving notes to creators on outlines and scripts
- Experience in television development, drama development specifically
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principle of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.
Back to top