VP, Marketing, Topic
- New York, NY
The Vice President, Marketing, Topic is responsible for brand, content & performance marketing strategies to build and retain a subscriber base for Topic’s new streaming service. The role spans brand (brand identity, positioning, awareness campaigns, social media/influencer), content (title and programming campaigns and creative strategy), and acquisition (performance media campaign planning), to build the subscriber base and establish the customer lifecycle (email, push, in-app) to engage & retain across all channels and partnerships.
Collaborate with the creative, programming, social, analytics, product, and business teams to identify and implement strategies to meet organizational goals, including subscriber acquisition and retention, creative development, revenue, events, and more.
We want a curious, creative, and critical thinker who can translate insights into initiatives that create growth, while leading projects from conception to completion.
This role will be an integral member of the Marketing team and will report to the SVP, Marketing. The role will have two direct reports.
- Brand Awareness: Develop and execute on brand campaigns that build awareness and interest for Topic in the market
- Content Positioning & Marketing: Oversee the creation of creative briefs, title positionings, and strategy materials. Collaborate with creative and development teams to market our streaming content.
- Customer Acquisition & Paid Media: Develop along with Director of Acquisitions a highly-efficient performance driven media plans that effectively promote our brands and content across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google (YouTube, AdWords, Paid Search, SEO), App Stores, and more.
- Customer Retention: Develop along with Director of Retention, efficient strategies to ensure engagement with our brand and service
- Audience Targeting and Outreach: Understand the position of our brand and develop an in-depth understanding of the Topic user to inform strategy that drives LTV and other established KPIs
- Partnerships: Establish and maintain partnerships (including syndication, content swaps, sweepstakes, etc.) with third party publishers to grow subscribers and brand presence.
- Analytics/Optimization: Understand changes in traffic and engagement in order to translate user response data into actionable insights. Work closely with the analytics and product team to identify testing initiatives to improve onsite engagement.
- Podcasts: For Topic’s streaming titles that include podcasts, lead the development of the podcast initiatives that grow listeners and build awareness for Topic’s streaming service.
- Newsletters: Develop and execute audience acquisition & retention strategies for Topic’s email offering to increase engagement and subscriber base.
Background & Qualifications:
- 10+ or more years of marketing experience, preferably in entertainment (TV/film/digital), video or media
- Experience working with programming/development, product, creative, and technical teams.
- Some experience working with customer-centered business goals (e.g. subscription, e-commerce or membership).
- Experience overseeing campaigns on social/advertising platforms including: Facebook Ads Manager, Instagram, Twitter, Adwords, etc.
- Extensive experience with developing creative briefs and evaluating concepts / final executions
- Understanding of analytics solutions (Google Analytics), social media measurement tools (Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, YouTube Analytics, etc) and social listening (Shareablee, Sysomos, ListenFirst, CrowdTangle, etc.)
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, and verbal skills with an eye for creating engaging presentations and simple reports
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to communicate and work well with multiple teams.
- Passion for working in a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the recently launched Topic SVOD service, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand, streaming service, and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Back to top