Social Media Editor, Publishing Platform
The Social Media Editor of First Look Media’s as-yet-unnamed publishing platform will be tasked with the day-to-day creation and scheduling of social posts, as well as discovery, curation and contextualizing of pre-existing film/video and audio storytelling — short films and digital shorts, short-form series, film excerpts, podcasts — to be curated on First Look Media’s various publishing platforms (app, website, social media).
The Social Media Editor will work in conjunction with the Deputy and Head of Social and will be primarily focused on creating and scheduling content for Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Additional responsibilities include researching and unearthing short and long-form visual and audio content to be singled out for special distinction by FLM’s digital content platform.
The ideal candidate will have a keen understanding of the digital video, photographic and audio storytelling landscape—the companies, editorial brands and creators/producers who are doing the strongest, most groundbreaking and forward-looking work—and the ability to scour any and all content platforms for interesting, important and iconoclastic voices and stories to include on FLM social platforms, along with a critical lens and appreciation for what makes the work right for the FLM brand and audience.
The Social Media Editor will report directly to the Head of Social and work closely with the Deputy of Social and Editorial leads.
- Creating, managing, and scheduling social accounts for FLM’s platform.
- Monitoring and reporting on competitive social presences
- Keeping up with the latest developments in social media technology and features and finding ways to keep FLM on the forefront of new storytelling opportunities.
- Helping to establish a strong editorial voice and sensibility through the sustained aggregation, curation and amplification of pre-existing visual and audio content that aligns with the FLM’s commitment to creative, independent storytelling with strong narratives and characters. Curation will involve new and contemporary works as well as classics and unknowns from libraries and archives.
- Relationship-building with established, socially-focused creators and aggressive discovery of makers working in short-form visual or audio storytelling on all platforms.
- Aggressive discovery of digital video/audio storytelling by historically overlooked or marginalized populations and creators.
- Sustained examination of new media platforms like Snapchat and Instagram - as well as old-media repositories like libraries and archives - for curation-worthy stories and storytellers.
- Creation of contextual material to support.
Background & Qualifications:
- 2-3 years experience working in social media coordination, curation, and content creation.
- Solid track record of managing multiple social accounts, maintaining schedules, and working with various stakeholders to ensure consistent voice and branding across platforms.
- Familiarity with digital video/audio content landscape and marketplace.
- Existing relationships with forward-thinking makers and creators working in the digital space.
- Facility with Adobe Creative Suite.
First Look Media is a new-model company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look operates as both a studio and digital media company. As a studio, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens and platforms including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. As a media company, we are finding new ways to connect compelling independent creators with passionate audiences through our own properties and on media platforms of our partners.
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter answering the following questions: What are the most interesting discoveries - stories, storytellers, story formats - you’ve made in the digital sphere? What and/or who excites you the most?
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principal of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Director, Scripted Programming & Content
Nicolas is always on the lookout for interesting, independent, and innovative digital content to cultivate into First Look Media’s next TV show, series, or podcast.
Back to top