Reporter, The Intercept
The Intercept, launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism, produces award-winning investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focused on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill.
We’re looking for an energetic reporter to expand our coverage of technology, surveillance, and national security. The ideal candidate has a track record of breaking news online and can shift comfortably between shorter blog posts, investigative news articles, and explainers. The reporter should also have a passion for, and experience covering, one or more of our core topics: surveillance and privacy, information security and cyberwarfare, and the intersection of tech and public policy, including the national security state.
The reporter must be able to work collaboratively with other reporters, researchers, and editors at The Intercept, as well as outside partners on occasion. The reporter is expected to be a self-starter who can generate their own story ideas, as well as quickly respond to assignments from editors and use sources and documents to write exclusive stories.
Ideally, the candidate would be based near one of our U.S. offices — in New York, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We are open to a part-time or job-sharing arrangement for this role.
Background + Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of journalism experience
- Track record of breaking news online
- Comfort with and interest in writing both fast-turnaround posts and longer investigative pieces
- Experience with filing FOIA and other public records requests
- Ability to file copy that’s clean, accurate, and provocative, appealing to both a niche and broad audience
- An independent perspective and a strong voice
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities and demands, based on organizational needs and the news cycle
- Ability to work well both on teams and independently, and receive constructive feedback
Please include or link to at least 5 clips that illustrate your writing, reporting, and interests.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principle of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Lead Product Designer
Allegra is the ultimate mover and shaker, helping teams across the company prioritize projects and ensuring that attention is paid to the all the right details at all the right moments.
Back to top