Product Designer, The Intercept
The Intercept launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism. The award-winning digital magazine, a publication of First Look Media, produces original investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focusing on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, international affairs, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill. The Intercept’s journalism is published on multiple platforms, including its website, social media, and distribution partners.
The Product Designer will be responsible for developing the visual design and user experience for The Intercept and for special projects, such as The Drone Papers. The ideal candidate is highly creative, understands the significance of both interactive and visual design, knows how to reach new readers in interesting ways, and is deeply interested in the mission of The Intercept and the subjects it covers.
The Product Designer should be well-versed in current web, design, and online journalism trends. The Product Designer will take advantage of these trends to aid user growth while maintaining design consistent with The Intercept’s editorial vision. S/he should be detail-oriented and have the ability to prototype and generate mockups quickly.
The Product Designer will work closely with the editorial, design, audience engagement, and technology teams. Excellent communication skills are a must.
The Product Designer will report to First Look Media’s SVP, Product and User Experience.
- Design innovative products for The Intercept
- Create prototypes to quickly visualize, sketch, and communicate solutions to complex design problems
- Develop style guides and best practices for design and editorial partners
- Create visual language and branding systems for online applications
- Collaborate with The Intercept’s creative director, photo editor, product manager, the rest of the editorial team, developers, and other designers
- Wireframe and prototype interactions
- Understanding of CSS and HTML
- Apply analytics and user testing to back up design decisions
Background & Qualifications:
- 7+ years experience working in design, with a focus on digital product design, preferably at a news organization
- Enthusiasm for news and investigative journalism
- Experience with using quantitative and qualitative data in your design process
- Flexibility in managing and balancing technical and business requirements
- Curious, thoughtful, organized, and possesses strong verbal and presentation skills
- Knowledge and advocacy of user-centered design principles
- Excellent collaborative skills and readiness to accept feedback
- Comfort working in fast-paced newsroom environment with tight deadlines
- Expert level skill in graphic design and prototyping software
- Responsive design experience required
- Successful experiences shipping digital products
Please include portfolio URL or PDF with resume.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer —people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core part of our mission; we are committed to building a team that reflects that diversity and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Director, Scripted Programming & Content
Nicolas is always on the lookout for interesting, independent, and innovative digital content to cultivate into First Look Media’s next TV show, series, or podcast.
Back to top