Photo Editor, The Intercept
The Intercept was founded in 2014 by Glenn Greenwald, Jeremy Scahill, and Laura Poitras to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism that holds powerful institutions accountable. The digital magazine, a publication of First Look Media, produces original investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focusing on national security, politics, civil liberties, international affairs, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. The Intercept publishes its journalism on our website and on other platforms, including through social media and distribution partners.
The Photo Editor will be responsible for researching, selecting, editing, and positioning both wire and commissioned photos. The ideal candidate is highly creative, understands the significance of visual imagery, knows how to tell a story in new and interesting ways, has a developed eye for photography, and is deeply interested in the mission of The Intercept and the subjects it covers.
The Photo Editor will report to the Creative Director.
- Help establish a strong editorial voice and sensibility through smart selection of wire, as well as commissioned, photography
- Work on news stories, long-term projects, short- and long-form features
- Collaborate with editors and reporters for stories’ visual needs
- Develop a network of photographers
- Work collaboratively with the Creative Director and art department on concepts for stories, determining which stories require commissioned photography or other visual elements
- Collaborate on generating ideas for visual projects and videos
- Commission and oversee photographers, including creating visual concepts/briefings and determining budget and schedule, as well as using stock photos to meet the needs of the project
- Write photo assignments, ensuring the photographer clearly understands the angle of the story and opportunities on the shoot
- Provide feedback to photographers on their assignments
- Work with audience engagement team to identify best images for daily distribution across all available channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Negotiate fees and supervise contracts and cost-shares in collaboration with legal department
Background, Skills, and Qualifications
We are seeking a candidate who has:
- 5+ years experience working in photo editing, preferably mostly at a digital news organization
- Enthusiasm for news and investigative journalism, both U.S. and internationally focused
- Knowledge of photography, cameras, and lighting, as well as the ability to clearly assign and direct freelance photographers
- Familiar with common digital content management systems
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software, Photoshop, and photo licensing
The ideal candidate is a collaborative, decisive thinker and problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced digital news environment; is organized and able to prioritize multiple projects, some with tight deadlines; and has excellent visual and news instincts, research and communication skills, and contacts in the industry.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer —people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core part of our mission; we are committed to building a team that reflects that diversity and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Back to top