Photo Director, Publishing Platform
The Photo Director of First Look Media’s as-yet-unnamed publishing platform will be responsible for conceiving, commissioning and producing high-quality, prestige photo essays for the editorial brand within FLM devoted to audio and visual storytelling. In addition to the commissioning and licensing of original material, the Photo Director will be responsible for 1) daily curation of imagery from professional and amateur photographers — photo agency selects, wire services, submissions, aggregations — for publication on various platforms within the FLM editorial brand and 2) the research and resurfacing of important narrative photography and photographic storytelling from the near or distant past (archives, museums, galleries, etc.).
The ideal candidate will have an extensive background in and understanding of the photography and photojournalism landscapes - the photographers, editorial brands, agencies and platforms creating and/or exhibiting the strongest, most groundbreaking and forward-looking work.
The Photo Director will liaise with the Social Media Editor and Content Curator regarding distribution and publishing; she/he will report directly to the SVP of Editorial.
- Helping to establish a strong editorial voice and sensibility through the commissioning and curation of still, photographic imagery, primarily narrative and documentary photography.
- Relationship-building with established creators and aggressive discovery of new photographers and photographic storytellers, particularly those from historically-marginalized populations.
- Sustained examination of new media platforms like Vine and Instagram — as well as old-media repositories like libraries and archives — for curation-worthy photo essays, photographs, and photographic storytellers.
- Ideating imaginative and new ways of presenting photographic storytelling, including video overlaid with audio, annotations and other types of publishing and distribution experiments.
Background & Qualifications:
- 6+ years experience working in photo editing and commissioning.
- Familiarity with contemporary photography landscape and marketplace.
- Existing relationships with photographers, agents, agencies, distributors and exhibitionists.
First Look Media is a new-model company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look operates as both a studio and digital media company. As a studio, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens and platforms including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. As a media company, we are finding new ways to connect compelling independent creators with passionate audiences through our own properties and on media platforms of our partners.
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter answering the following questions: Tell us about your passion and interest in telling stories through photography. How - and where - are photographers and photo editors using photography in innovative new ways?
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principal of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.
Back to top