Nonprofit Revenue & Membership Manager
The key aspect of this role is to make sure we hit some major revenue goals for the nonprofit side of First Look Media. Experience is important; but attitude is paramount. You have to love solving impossible problems and hitting large goals.
Your long-term goal may be to become an amazing CRO. You know you're not ready yet. You have the awareness and humble attitude to know that you’ve got to build the skills first. And you want to come to a place with big ambitions and be part of a team with big dreams.
Your responsibilities will include:
Membership and Major Giving Support for First Look Media Works - 70%
- As we launch our first membership programs for The Intercept, you’ll be responsible for individual donor support via email.
- You’ll help draft campaign communications, marketing materials for individual and major giving, and quarterly and annual donor reports.
- You’ll handle logistics for online and in-person member events.
- Research and prepare donor, foundation, prospective donor profiles and briefings. Maintain lists of prospective donors and ensure that we build relationships with those donors.
- Draft grant applications and personalized major giving appeals for FLMW funding projects, including projects for The Intercept, Field of Vision, and the Press Freedom Defense Fund.
Operational Support for Additional Revenue Projects – 20%
- Anticipating, responding to, and preparing for upcoming meetings and events including drafting correspondences, creating research briefings, and preparing marketing materials. You will also be tasked to attend selected meetings, take notes, and ensure we follow up as needed.
- Design and editing of sponsorship and strategy decks and internal and external communications for First Look Media Works.
- Support collaborations beyond fundraising, efforts within the Omidyar network, and the greater nonprofit and for profit journalism space.
- Internal collaboration with First Look revenue and studio team members to facilitate revenue for The Intercept and Field of Vision.
- Interim financial reporting against revenue goals.
Operations on Press Freedom Initiatives for First Look Media Works - 10%
- In partnership with the rest of the team, including a Director, an administrative associate and a project manager, handle day-to-day operations of a grants program within First Look Media Works as needed.
- This may include:
- Tracking all inbound and outbound grants requests and payments. Responsible for coordinating drafting (and receipt) of required reporting.
- Helping track performance of our grants and fund, and developing communications to publicly talk about our learnings from this effort.
- Managing and maintaining systems such as com that closely track our operational projects. Improving systems where needed. Contributing your problem solving skills and idea generation to figure out smart ways to move projects forward and build sustainable systems.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS…
- IMPACT-DRIVEN– You bring an eagerness to learn and grow, as well as, roll up your sleeves and contribute attitude. You have a go-getter attitude and a drive to solve all sorts of problems, no matter the size or shape. You have experience measuring yourself against goals.
- INTENTIONAL– Your working style is about creating order and planning ahead. You think systematically and excel at establishing elegant processes.
- PERCEPTIVE AND PRACTICAL–You are comfortable handling a heavy amount of “intake,” quickly and effectively sorting out and triaging tasks. You’re very curious and like to get to the bottom of what isn’t being said.
- A SKILLED COMMUNICATOR– You’re both a great listener and an effective speaker and writer. You are empathetic, confident and resourceful when reaching out to new people, and great at developing relationships with a wide range of people with different styles. You listen carefully to what is said (and what isn’t said) and you bring those signals into your solutions and your collaborations.
- DETAIL-ORIENTED– You have excellent organizational skills, and are adept at anticipating and resolving issues in advance of them becoming problems. Typos make you cringe, and you strive for maintaining your inbox at zero. You like creating structure in your work.
- THINK IN DOLLARS – Whether you have experience for profit sector or non-profit sector – you aren’t afraid of asking for the donation or the sale. You think about how we make our way to our revenue goals, and you can help set your own priorities based on how valuable they will be towards our overall goals. You’re comfortable with subscriptions, membership models, and one off sales projects. You also aren’t afraid of figuring out what something is worth when no one has ever thought of it before.
- RELATIONSHIP-ORIENTED – You are a natural connector, and you know how important relationships are to both getting things done inside and outside of an organization. You know how to maintain a relationship, and you’re good at making your partners feel valued.
- FLEXIBLE– You are able to manage a diverse set of team needs, and aren’t afraid to step outside your job description or your comfort zone to help the team reach its goals. You’re comfortable with shifting schedules and don’t expect every day to go “as planned.”
What you’ll need:
- PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE- You have 5-7 years of experience providing effective sales, and/or operational coordination in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting, especially in a revenue driving role. Membership, subscription sales work especially.
- DISCRETION- You can practice discretion and have the ability to maintain confidentiality as needed.
- MISSION-ALIGNMENT- You are passionate about First Look Media, and our work at The Intercept, Field of Vision, and Press Freedom Defense Fund.
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture.
From The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism to Topic, our Academy Award™-winning (Spotlight) entertainment studio, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts.
First Look is also home to Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit, and the Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Lead Product Designer
Allegra is the ultimate mover and shaker, helping teams across the company prioritize projects and ensuring that attention is paid to the all the right details at all the right moments.
Back to top