National Security Editor, The Intercept
The Intercept, launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism, produces award-winning investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focused on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill.
We’re looking for a National Security Editor to lead our coverage of the U.S. intelligence community and military. The ideal candidate will have experience editing articles that have shaped public understanding of national security and passion for journalism that exposes wrongdoing and promotes government transparency in the public interest. The National Security Editor must have a firm grasp of investigative reporting techniques and public records and access laws. This editor will work with reporters and editors covering the NSA, FBI and CIA; the global intelligence community; U.S. military operations and special forces; foreign affairs; counterterrorism and surveillance; covert operations and drone warfare; and human rights abuses.
Responsibilities + Expectations:
- 7+ years of relevant experience, preferably at a digital media organization
- Track record of high-impact journalism
- Commitment to the journalistic mission of The Intercept
- Background in national security and/or investigative journalism, and familiarity with encryption technology
- Excellent organizational, management and mentoring skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to maintain the highest editorial standards in a fast-paced newsroom
- Comfort editing quick news stories as well as investigative reporting and long-form narrative journalism from both staff and freelance reporters
- Excellent news judgment
- Ability to set clear priorities based on organizational capacity and news cycle
- Experience collaborating with reporting partners is highly desirable
We would prefer the National Security Editor to be based at our D.C. office, but New York is a possibility as well.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principle of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Lead Product Designer
Allegra is the ultimate mover and shaker, helping teams across the company prioritize projects and ensuring that attention is paid to the all the right details at all the right moments.
Back to top