Legal Counsel - Business Affairs
We’re looking for a thoughtful and energetic attorney to help build FLM’s media and entertainment content and commercial efforts, as well as support FLM’s programming and revenue-generating efforts across a range of business and legal issues including deal negotiation, drafting and execution. The ideal candidate will provide strategic insights and recommendations as well as practical execution of deals and key legal issues. A self-starter who understands the ambiguity of a startup, success in this role means having a strong attention to detail, a deep passion for the entertainment industry and the ability to work independently while communicating effectively with all levels of an ever-growing organization. The role will work closely with the Programming team and the Distribution function as well as other departments (Product, Tech, PR, Marketing, Finance, Ad Sales) as needed.
This role reports to the SVP, Business & Legal Affairs.
- Provide day-to-day business and legal affairs services for programming, with a focus on original development and production, along with some licensing or program acquisition
- Handle a heavy volume of development and production matters relating to both studio and digital publisher businesses and the production of original programming (including guild, union and other issues)
- Structuring, negotiating and drafting complex development and production deals and agreements (e.g., rights acquisition, producer, writer, production services, and talent agreements, format licenses).
- Provide analysis and advice in connection with intellectual property matters (chain of title, trademarks, copyrights), claims, production clearances (defamation, rights of publicity and privacy), and other matters.
- Structure, draft and negotiate a variety of agreements relating to the distribution and licensing of content on for all media platforms (e.g., SVOD, traditional linear TV, OTT).
- Effectively distill information for key internal stakeholders
- Independently manage sophisticated transactions from inception through conclusion
- Conduct pre-broadcast review to identify issues pertaining to defamation, intellectual property, right of publicity, standards and other areas.
- Supervise outside counsel as necessary
Background & Qualifications:
- Qualified candidates MUST be members of the New York or California Bar with 3-5 years of relevant experience (ideally in a network, studio, entertainment law firm, talent agency or production company environment)
- Comprehensive working knowledge of television industry agreements, guild and union regulations (WGA, DGA and SAG-AFTRA), contract law and intellectual property rights (as applicable to the entertainment industry) is required, along with mastered capability for legal research, analysis and reasoning
- A strong background in copyright law and intellectual property matters is preferred
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and computer skills are also a must
- Excellent interpersonal skills which will enable him/her to interact with a range of personalities and styles and be able to establish effective relationships at all levels of the organization
- Desired candidate will possess demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and interact with agents, managers and outside attorneys
- Must be able to multi-task under pressure, manage a varied, high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly, operate autonomously
- Comfortable with the ambiguity attendant to a start-up environment.
- The business and legal affairs role works in a highly collaborative manner. The ideal candidate will have a cooperative, positive, team-oriented spirit – and a flexible and practical approach to problem solving
- Fire, compassion, and a sense of humor. Your clients and colleagues love working with you and gain confidence from having you in their corner.
First Look Media is a new-model company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look operates as both a studio and digital media company. As a studio, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens and platforms including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. As a media company, we are finding new ways to connect compelling independent creators with passionate audiences through our own properties and on media platforms of our partners.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Director, Scripted Programming & Content
Nicolas is always on the lookout for interesting, independent, and innovative digital content to cultivate into First Look Media’s next TV show, series, or podcast.
Back to top