Executive Director, FLM Non-Profit Programs
This role will be responsible for managing the business side of FLM’s nonprofit mission-driven programs, including the investigative journalism publication The Intercept and projects to promote press freedom and facilitate investigative journalism through litigation support, grant making and the development of research and technology tools. The Executive Director will develop and implement the business plan for nonprofit programs, devising and executing monetization and fundraising strategies consistent with FLM’s mission. In collaboration with key organizational and program leaders, the ED will work to define goals, set strategic growth priorities, and cultivate marketing opportunities for nonprofit programs. The ED will be a foundational member of FLM’s team working to drive a long-term sustainable model to pursue editorially independent journalism.
The Executive Director will report to the EVP, Chief Business Officer and will be a key partner to the Editor-in-Chief of The Intercept.
- Create and execute the revenue strategy for FLM’s non-profit assets, with a particular focus on The Intercept (TI).
- Identify, build and exploit high-value revenue opportunities consistent with FLM non-profit mission.
- Test, evaluate and selectively deploy initiatives for raising revenue, including commercial activities and products as well as traditional nonprofit development and membership programs.
- Collaborate on product strategy, brand-building, engagement, events/communications, and other efforts to fulfill the nonprofit journalism mission that have a revenue component.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with commercial partners and build mutually rewarding institutional relationships with other organizations.
- Partner internally with key stakeholders including TI Editorial, TI Audience development/Digital engagement, Research, Technology & Product, Legal, PR/Corporate Communications and FLM revenue teams including Distribution & Licensing, Direct-to-Consumer and Sponsorship
Background & Qualifications:
- BA/BS with strong academic track record; advanced degree preferred or equivalent experience
- 10 – 12 years experience in revenue generation or business development functions
- Experience working directly with editorial teams in news, journalism or content creation
- Enthusiasm for news, investigative journalism, digital media; sophisticated understanding of the economics of journalism and media business trends
- Familiarity with culture and structures of non-profits, nonprofit development and the landscape of philanthropy
- Experience in execution against a revenue target
- Deep experience with relevant business opportunities including membership programs, events/conferences, sponsorships, fundraising, e-commerce or other related business development partnerships
- Entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to find innovative ways to grow an organization
- Highly informed, open-minded, original thinker who is not bound by orthodoxies and loves big idea generation
- Ability to prioritize high value opportunities
- Outstanding references furnished upon request
- Strong interpersonal capabilities, project management skills and ability to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look operates as both a studio and digital media company. As a studio, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens and platforms including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. As a media company, we are finding new ways to connect compelling independent creators with passionate audiences through our own properties and on media platforms of our partners.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principle of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.
Back to top