Director, Scripted Programming
First Look Media and Topic Studios is seeking a Director of Scripted Content & Programming to join the team in New York, reporting to SVP of Programming. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, passionate about multi-platform content development and able to work well in a team and alone. They will have great relationships, proven development and production experience in both digital and television content with a strong knack for identifying talent.
- Identify writers for television and digital scripted development.
- Identify TV formats, books, articles, podcasts and other source material for on-going development.
- Oversee scripted development grid and day-to-day progress on projects.
- Attend pitch and general meetings with filmmakers and creators.
- Work closely with writers to develop story, pitches and scripts.
- Participate in notes calls and meetings.
- Serve as a studio liaison between other First Look entities (The Intercept, Field of Vision, The Nib, etc)
- Maintain relationships with agents, managers, producers and network partners.
- Attend domestic and international TV conferences and festivals to further relationships with potential partners when necessary.
Background & Qualifications:
- College degree. Related field strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years relevant work experience.
- General understanding of the international TV marketplace.
- Strong relationships with agencies, filmmakers, management companies and producers.
- Avid reader.
- Knowledge of television (past and present).
- Ability to generate creative ideas for projects.
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and written.
- Must be a team player.
- Ability to multi-task, organize and schedule work effectively.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principle of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Director, Scripted Programming & Content
Nicolas is always on the lookout for interesting, independent, and innovative digital content to cultivate into First Look Media’s next TV show, series, or podcast.
Back to top