Director, Analytics & Research
First Look Media is seeking a Director, Analytics & Research to lead and grow our audience intelligence, data, and consumer insights team. The Director will support efforts across brands (The Intercept, Field of Vision, The Nib, and Topic) and content formats including editorial, digital, social, television, and film.
The role will work with the programming, editorial, marketing, product, tech, membership and business teams to identify and track key metrics and insights for organizational goals, including content performance, audience growth, fundraising, and more.
In addition, the role, in close collaboration with our engineering team, will be responsible for our data warehouse roadmap and implementation including structure, collection, analysis, and dashboarding.
This role will report to the GM, Topic who oversees First Look Media’s Analytics.
- Be the voice of the consumer within the organization at all times through marketplace an internal data knowledge, consumer segmentation/audience studies, and user research
- Create, analyze, and distribute regular reporting across FLM properties as well as the overall media, entertainment, and publishing landscapes
- Develop, execute and continuously improve data warehouse, analytics, and reporting/dashboards
- Implement a publishing and video efficiency model which provides the organization with real-time information on the performance of its content
- Execute qualitative and quantitative consumer and user experience research including identification of survey goals, relevant questions, respondent or audience selection, survey set up, execution and analysis of survey findings
- Product test planning, design, reporting, analysis, insight and optimization of website pages and page elements (errors, lack of engagement, abandonment, etc.) that align with recognized client approach
- Monitor social media conversations, analysis of the quantity and sentiment of the conversations and development of actionable social media insights
- Conduct research film screenings, content positioning/brand studies, materials testing, and/or audience tracking
- Measurement of paid search and SEO efforts showing ties between content and ROI, performance vs. benchmarks and time, and insight into future opportunities
- Provide competitive and marketplace intelligence. Compile and analyze internal and third-party data
- Engage organization on best practices across audience engagement and growth
Background & Qualifications:
- 6+ years of a mixture of analytics, research, data, and consumer insights experience, preferably in entertainment, technology, media and/or publishing
- Experience working with editorial/content, marketing, and product/technical teams
- Digital marketing analytics experience (analysis, modeling, regression/factor/cluster segmentation techniques, etc.)
- Proficiency in internal web tracking solutions (Google Analytics) and native social media measurement tools (Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, YouTube Analytics, etc).
- Experience analyzing campaigns within social/advertising platforms including: Facebook Ads Manager, Instagram, Twitter, Adwords, etc.
- Social media measurement experience (Sysomos, ListenFirst, CrowdTangle, etc.)
- Experience with data warehouse systems including structure, platforms, and tools
- Experience with visualization platforms (Tableau, Domo, Looker, etc.) and an eye for engaging dashboard presentations and simple reports
- Experience conducting or managing consumer insights research
- Experience working with and presenting to all types of stakeholders including senior executives (c-suite) and talent
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, presentation, and verbal skills
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib and Field of Vision, and plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats and platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators and audiences develop, distribute, discover and connect with meaningful stories.
About The Intercept
The Intercept, launched in 2014 to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism, produces award-winning investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focused on national security, politics, civil liberties, the environment, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. Regular contributors include co-founding editors Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand and entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award®-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio and digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach – challenging, compelling and unconventional – reflects our commitment to discovering and amplifying independent new voices, and supporting established ones.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Director, Scripted Programming & Content
Nicolas is always on the lookout for interesting, independent, and innovative digital content to cultivate into First Look Media’s next TV show, series, or podcast.
Back to top