The Creative Director at First Look Media will provide design leadership, strategic thinking, and inspiration across all company brands, including: Topic.com, Topic Studios, The Nib, Field of Vision, The Press Freedom Defense Fund and The Intercept. The ideal candidate is a passionate leader who lives at the forefront of design and digital and will continue to elevate the quality of all FLM brands for the industry and the consumer.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial spirit with an interest in new media and storytelling, someone who collaborates well across departments and is able to lead while simultaneously working in service to our brands.
This role will manage a growing team of full-time employees and freelancers who form the creative vision across marketing, product, and the brand at large. The Creative Director will be an integral part of the company and will report directly to the SVP, Marketing.
- Set the creative strategy and maintain the elevated aesthetic
- Drive brand style and messaging both internally and externally
- Own the creative process from brief to production. Help clarify creative goals, lead promotional photo and video shoots, manage production assets and workflow. Prioritize all projects to ensure on-time delivery.
- Foster positive relationships between creative teams and other departments with a high degree of collaboration, including helping the business team develop appropriate collateral and sales marketing materials.
- Build an environment in which people are inspired to achieve creative excellence and take risks
- Develop and manage relationships with outside vendors to maintain elevated creative standards
- Manage, develop and mentor in-house and freelance creatives
- Lead creative ideation and brainstorming sessions.
Background & Qualifications:
- 10+ years of creative design experience, demonstrating strong creative and art direction skills across disciplines. Experience, preferably in entertainment, media or publishing.
- 5+ years of experience managing creative teams, resources, and budgets
- Experience working with editorial, product, creative, sales, and technical teams.
- Some experience working with customer-centered business goals (e.g. subscription, e-commerce or membership).
- Extensive experience with developing creative briefs and evaluating concepts / final executions
- Strategic thinker with excellent analytical, written, and verbal skills with an eye for creating engaging presentations and simple reports
- Exceptional leadership skills to produce breakthrough work in a collaborative environment
- Outstanding project management skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple deadlines, reconcile competing interests, and streamline workflow
A bold, independent spirit defines everything we do at First Look Media – from journalism that holds the powerful accountable, to arts & entertainment that shapes our culture. Launched by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media is built on the belief that freedom of expression and of the press, and fiercely independent perspectives, are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture.
From The Intercept, dedicated to fearless, adversarial journalism to Topic, our Academy Award™-winning (Spotlight) entertainment studio, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. First Look is also home to Field of Vision, the filmmaker-driven documentary unit, and the Nib, a site for the most provocative satirical and political comics.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Meet Some of First Look Media's Employees
Director, Scripted Programming & Content
Nicolas is always on the lookout for interesting, independent, and innovative digital content to cultivate into First Look Media’s next TV show, series, or podcast.
Back to top