Content Curator, Publishing Platform
The Content Curator of First Look Media’s as-yet-unnamed publishing platform will be tasked with the discovery, curation and contextualizing of pre-existing film/video and audio storytelling — short films and digital shorts, short-form series, film excerpts, podcasts — to be curated on First Look Media’s various publishing platforms (app, website, social media).
The Content Curator will work in conjunction with the Social Media Editor and VP of Acquisitions and will be primarily focused on researching and unearthing short and long-form visual and audio content to be singled out for special distinction by FLM’s digital content platform, as well as with the creation of contextual material to support these finds, including video and audio interview segments, short image and text-based pieces, ancillary material related to the production, and other contextual content.
The ideal candidate will have a keen understanding of the digital video and audio storytelling landscape — the companies, editorial brands and creators/producers who are doing the strongest, most groundbreaking and forward-looking work — and the ability to scour any and all content platforms for interesting, important and iconoclastic voices and stories to include on FLM consumer-facing platforms, along with a critical lens and appreciation for what makes the work right for the FLM brand and audience.
The Content Curator will report directly to the Editor and work closely with the Social Media Editor and VP of Acquisitions.
- Helping to establish a strong editorial voice and sensibility through the sustained aggregation, curation and amplification of pre-existing visual and audio content that aligns with the FLM’s commitment to creative, independent storytelling with strong narratives and characters. Curation will involve new and contemporary works as well as classics and unknowns from libraries and archives.
- Relationship-building with established creators and aggressive discovery of makers working in short-form visual or audio storytelling on all platforms.
- Aggressive discovery of digital video/audio storytelling by historically overlooked or marginalized populations and creators.
- Sustained examination of new media platforms like Vine and Instagram - as well as old-media repositories like libraries and archives - for curation-worthy stories and storytellers.
- Creation of contextual material to support.
Background & Qualifications:
- 3-5 years experience working in digital content curation and creation, particularly the aggregation of digital video.
- Familiarity with digital video/audio content landscape and marketplace.
- Existing relationships with forward-thinking makers and creators working in the digital space.
- Facility with Adobe Creative Suite.
First Look Media is a new-model company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism and documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture and a thriving democracy.
First Look operates as both a studio and digital media company. As a studio, we develop, produce and finance content for all screens and platforms including feature films, television, digital series and podcasts. As a media company, we are finding new ways to connect compelling independent creators with passionate audiences through our own properties and on media platforms of our partners.
To apply, submit a résumé and cover letter answering the following questions: What are the most interesting discoveries - stories, storytellers, story formats - you’ve made in the digital sphere? What and/or who excites you the most?
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Informing a large, diverse audience is a core principal of our work, so we’re committed to building a team that reflects that diversity.
Back to top