Audience Engagement Producer, The Intercept
- New York, NY
About The Intercept:
The Intercept is an award-winning news organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable through fearless, adversarial journalism. Its in-depth investigations and unflinching analysis focus on politics, war, surveillance, corruption, the environment, technology, criminal justice, the media, and more. The Intercept gives its journalists the editorial freedom and legal support they need to expose corruption and injustice wherever they find it.
The Intercept is looking for a digital journalist to help us expand and deepen our relationship with our audience. The ideal candidate is a strong writer who is passionate about the topics we cover and excited about experimenting on different platforms. We’re looking for someone who comes in with ideas about engaging with our readers and promoting our journalism — without resorting to clickbait.
- Work on the day-to-day promotion of The Intercept’s journalism on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Apple News, and other platforms
- Take initiative in engaging our audience on various networks, such as Instagram Stories, Twitter threads, and Reddit AMAs
- Moderate website comments; respond to reader feedback on social media
- Collaborate regularly with editorial, membership, visual, product, podcast, and video teams
- Train audience engagement fellows on best practices for sharing our journalism on social media
- Use analytics to make informed decisions about the best tactics for promoting our work
- Brainstorm strategies for building our presence on emerging social and mobile platforms
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background + Qualifications:
- At least three years of experience, preferably in a digital news environment
- Established presence on Twitter, Facebook, and at least two other social networks
- Strong writing and editing skills, detail-oriented, and ability to adhere to tight deadlines
- Excellent news judgment and commitment to the highest standards of journalism
- Impeccable grammar and knowledge of AP style
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and analytics tools, such as Parse.ly, Chartbeat, Google Analytics, and/or CrowdTangle
- Well-organized, with a strong work ethic and ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects in a fast-moving news environment
This position is recognized as part of the Writer’s Guild of America, East, Inc., “Union."
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
Back to top