Vice President, Corporate Communications
Edelman Financial Engines is America’s largest independent investment advisor serving over 1.1 million clients with over $200B in assets under management. With the recent merging of Edelman Financial and Financial Engines, two premier independent advisors with rich histories of growth and innovation, we have a renewed call to serve American families at an even higher level. As the financial services industry continues to evolve, our new organization will continue to push the industry forward as a leader in transparency, the fiduciary standard, and our mission to positively impact the financial future of millions of people.
Edelman Financial Engines is looking for a passionate Vice President of Corporate Communications to lead all aspects of the company’s public relations and communications strategy and execution. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, this high-profile position will join the company at a key inflection point in its history and will shape the newly combined company’s unique story through its next phase of growth.
The ideal candidate will have a broad range of experience covering public relations, thought leadership, industry and governmental relations, and employee communications. The role requires a hands-on, senior communications professional with exceptional storytelling capabilities and the ability to build a communications platform that connects with multiple audiences. Equal parts strategy and executional excellence, this position requires someone who can manage multiple programs simultaneously while also ensuring all communications ladder up to the larger corporate narrative.
The position will have a keen sense of what makes a newsworthy story focusing on opportunities that tell the Edelman Financial Engines story in consistent and creative ways that elevates consumer awareness of the company. The role requires an individual who can understand complex financial topics and communicate them in simple terms while also bringing an empathetic human perspective to communications.
The Vice President of Corporate Communications sits in a unique position in a distributed and multifaceted organization. The role requires an individual passionate about building strong relationships with leaders across the organization and a dedication to “connecting the dots” across company initiatives to ensure strong and consistent communications.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the company’s reputation and drive positive visibility among key audiences, including media, individual investors, institutional clients, regulators, industry organizations and employees
- Lead the Corporate Communication team providing direction and support to ensure the team accomplishes business objectives and experiences professional growth
- Cultivate strong, professional relationships with members of national and local media that cover Edelman Financial Engines and related issues in the financial services industry
- Develop a strong thought leadership platform using external and proprietary data to position the company and its executives as premier thought leaders in the financial services industry
- Create and implement a vision for internal communications to align culture and knowledge across our growing and geographically dispersed team
- Support employee recruiting and engagement through inspiring communications and executive visibility across the organization
- Engage with the Board of Directors and senior executives to promote industry-leading initiatives, and increase the overall positive industry awareness for the company through executive visibility programs, including speaking opportunities
- Partner with industry groups to develop strategies providing mutual benefits and influence regulatory groups through active participation in public policy
- Collaborate with senior leaders to provide strategic counsel on issues management and crisis communications, including potential response strategies and tactics.
- Work closely with Marketing to amplify brand building and marketing activities
- 15+ years of experience in corporate communications or public relations
- Experience across the full range of communications functions, including B2C and B2B public relations, thought leadership, internal communications, public affairs, and crisis and issues management
- Strong understanding of changing media landscape and experience partnering with Marketing to storytell through various channels
- Experience in building and managing media programs that deliver measurable results
- Proven ability to develop strategy and oversee strategic communications and reputation management programs designed to advance corporate reputation.
- Track record of building and inspiring high performing teams
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to build strong relationships at all levels of the organization including Board of Directors
- Experience in financial services or similar highly regulated industry that requires adherence to strict regulatory compliance guidelines
- Intrinsic motivation with a strong desire to make a positive impact on the organization
- Ability to work in a deadline driven and multi-task environment
- Hands-on approach and desire to accomplish big results with a small team
- Ability to travel to the company’s offices in Fairfax, VA; Overland Park, KS; Phoenix, AZ, and Sunnyvale, CA
- Bachelors or Masters degree in PR, marketing, journalism or related field
About Edelman Financial Engines
Since 1986, Edelman Financial Engines has been committed to always acting in best interest of our clients. We were founded on the belief that all American investors – not just the wealthy – deserve access to personalized, comprehensive financial planning and investment advice. Today, we are America’s top independent financial planning and investment advisor, recognized by both InvestmentNews and Barron’s with 180+ planner offices across the country and entrusted by over 1.1 million clients to manage over $200 billion in assets. Our unique approach to serving clients combines our advanced methodology and proprietary technology with the attention of a dedicated planner. Every client’s situation and goals are unique, and the powerful fusion of high-tech and high-touch allows Edelman Financial Engines to deliver the personal plan and financial confidence that everyone deserves.
©2018 Edelman Financial Engines™, LLC All rights reserved. All advisory services provided by Financial Engines Advisors L.L.C. Financial Engines Advisors does not guarantee future results.
 The Top 40 Independent Advisory Firm Ranking issued by Barron’s is qualitative and quantitative, including assets managed, the size and experience of teams, and the regulatory records of the advisers and firms. Firms elect to participate, but do not pay to be included in the ranking. Investor returns/experience are not considered. 2018 ranking refers to Edelman Financial Services (EFS), which combined its advisory business in its entirety with Financial Engines Advisors L.L.C. (FEA) in November 2018. For the same survey, FEA received a precombination ranking of twelfth.
Back to top