Staff Software Engineer, Big Data
Financial Engines’ mission is to bring financial wellness and financial help to every American. With nearly 10 million customers, Financial Engines is the leading provider for retirement advice, building personalized financial plans powered by our software. Financial Engines made an acquisition earlier this year, and we are expanding our product offering and growing our engineering team.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Relationship Platform team, you will play a pivotal role in the design and development of a system that leverages data to build intelligence about millions of Americans and enables them to seek relevant financial help at the right time. You will join a fast-paced Agile team that works together to architect and build services, APIs, and define the data model for this platform. You will work cross-functionally to solve business problems and technically lead the next-generation design of the platform on the AWS Cloud.
The ideal candidate will be excited for the challenge to transform and think critically on many computer science disciplines including product design, usability, scaling performance, and 24x7 reliability. This position is full-time and based in our Sunnyvale office.
- Design and develop scalable, high performing, and reliable services that operate 24x7
- Scale distributed applications, make architectural trade-offs applying synchronous and asynchronous design patterns, write simple elegant code, and deliver with speediness and quality.
- Select & integrate Big Data tools and frameworks for collecting, storing, processing and analyzing large sets of data.
- Produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration.
- Identify, leverage, and successfully evangelize opportunities to improve engineering productivity.
- Champion best practices, mentor junior developers, and continue to push the engineering organization forward along technology innovation.
- Interact with both business and technical stakeholders to deliver high quality products and services that meets/exceeds business and technical requirements.
- 8+ years of industry experience building and running in production high volume large-scale distributed system
- Hands on experience developing Java web applications, including building REST APIs
- Must have experience with AWS and building cloud native applications.
- Expert level Domain Modeling with Relational and No SQL databases.
- Experience with Big Data technologies like Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, MapReduce, HDFS
- Experience with messaging systems, such as Kafka or RabbitMQ
- Automation driven mindset and solid understanding of modern CI/CD practices
- Excellent debugging and problem solving skills, including ability to diagnose and fix performance and scalability issues.
- Data-driven decision making, results oriented
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience with Machine Learning Toolkits
- FinTech domain knowledge
About Financial Engines
Financial Engines is America’s largest independent investment advisor1. We help people achieve greater financial clarity by providing comprehensive financial planning and professional investment management and advice. Headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, Financial Engines was co-founded in 1996 by Nobel Prize-winning economist William F. Sharpe. We currently offer financial help to more than 9.5 million people across over 700 companies (including 146 of the Fortune 500). Our unique approach, combined with powerful online services, dedicated advisors and personal attention, promotes greater financial wellness and helps more Americans to meet their financial goals.
For more information, please visit www.financialengines.com.
All advisory services provided by Financial Engines Advisors L.L.C. Financial Engines does not guarantee future results.
1 For independence methodology and ranking, see InvestmentNews Center (http://data.investmentnews.com/ria/).
Meet Some of Financial Engines's Employees
CTO, VP Technology Office
Alexander oversees a group of architects who are responsible for creating technology and innovation roadmaps for Financial Engines, while supporting the entire company in tech areas.
Back to top