Staff Software Engineer
Financial Engines is the leading RIA. We manage over $135B of investments for over 1,000,000 individual investors. Last year more than 160K investors enrolled into our management services. Our services are uniquely tailored to each of our individual investors.
We provide these services by integrating financial technology with information technologies.
The "Engines group" is the team responsible for developing and delivering the algorithms that power Financial Engines’ services. All the members of the group write code that is incorporated into FE's products.
The team works closely with other groups within Technology, Financial Research and Product Management. It collaborates closely with the Financial Research group to investigate and articulate the algorithms and methodologies that form the basis of Financial Engines’ investment services.
The Engines group is responsible for the efficient implementation in software of the algorithms and methodologies. It is also responsible for the design and development of the software infrastructure and the API's that are utilized by other product development teams.
The development of the algorithms and methodologies involves more than just expertise with applied mathematics and financial economics. Because our services and products reach both individuals and financial services professionals, the software that we develop must satisfy complex legal requirements and financial services business practices.
All individuals in the team work in both traditional software engineering roles and in scientific programming roles.
We are seeking individuals with demonstrated experience, ability and desire in defining, designing and delivering complex software products.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and extend key financial technology and features of our product using Java
- Develop and maintain Java API’s and REST APIs
- Define and develop the application and systems architectures for solutions to deep domain engineering problems
- Lead the collaboration with Financial Research and Product Marketing in analyzing the financial domain requirements
- Collaborate with Financial Research in investigating and articulating the financial algorithms that drive the forecast, advice, and analysis functionality in Financial Engines’ products
- Analyze the user experience and develop the algorithms that take the information collected in the user experience and transform them into inputs that are understood by the financial algorithms -- "the models" -- and deliver the end results for other product development teams to utilize.
- Implement, and package all our deliverables in Java to deliver software -- the actual physical product so to speak.
- Unit testing and validating financial algorithms and application/domain logic.
- 8+ years of professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience with Java and related ecosystem (Spring, Hibernate, Tomcat, etc) or similar.
- Demonstrated experience with application software integration techniques (REST, SOAP/XML, etc)
- Expert level understanding of Domain Driven Design and related software architecture and development techniques.
- Clear demonstrated experience, ability and desire in designing and delivering complex software products.
- Excellent communication skills. Individuals on our team work with many different people with very diverse roles and responsibilities. It is critical that the individual is pro-active in communicating well.
- Demonstrated experience with leading the definition, design, development and delivery of new product features or components.
- Expertise with investment management & financial economics: Modern portfolio theory, multi-factor models, style analysis.
- Domain knowledge of financial services: Defined Contribution plans (401(k), 403b, etc), Individual retirement plans (IRA, Roth IRA), and Defined Benefit plans.
- Expertise with applied mathematics: Numerical linear algebra, quadratic programming, integer programming, statistics, Monte Carlo simulation methods.
- Expertise with CPLEX
- Expertise with Git
- Experience with developing in Amazon AWS
About Financial Engines
Financial Engines is America’s largest independent investment advisor1. We help people achieve greater financial clarity by providing comprehensive financial planning and professional investment management and advice. Headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, Financial Engines was co-founded in 1996 by Nobel Prize-winning economist William F. Sharpe. We currently offer financial help to more than 9.5 million people across over 700 companies (including 146 of the Fortune 500). Our unique approach, combined with powerful online services, dedicated advisors and personal attention, promotes greater financial wellness and helps more Americans to meet their financial goals.
For more information, please visit www.financialengines.com.
All advisory services provided by Financial Engines Advisors L.L.C. Financial Engines does not guarantee future results.
1 For independence methodology and ranking, see InvestmentNews Center (http://data.investmentnews.com/ria/).
Meet Some of Financial Engines's Employees
CTO, VP Technology Office
Alexander oversees a group of architects who are responsible for creating technology and innovation roadmaps for Financial Engines, while supporting the entire company in tech areas.
Back to top