Government Information Specialist (Open to All U.S. Citizens) - Pocatello, ID
- Pocatello, ID
Who May Apply
Job Posting Title: Government Information Specialist (Open to All U.S. Citizens) - Pocatello, ID - Office supports the Information Management Division (IMD) of the FBI.
Are you interested in a career supporting investigative and intelligence operations at America's premier national security and law enforcement agency? Do you have experience or the desire to provide program support in the areas of business research and analysis?
As a Government information Specialist (GIS) you will provide analysis, evaluations, recommendations, determinations, and responses concerning requests and inquiries about the release and dissemination of FBI information and/or documents. These request are processed pursuant to the provisions of the Freedom of Information/Privacy Acts (FOIPA), Title 5, United States Code, Sections 552 and 552a.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is looking for Government Information Specialist for Pocatello, ID.
All qualified candidates within the United States and its territories may apply.
This posting will close either when a substantial number of applications has been reached, or on August 7, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST.
Questions regarding this posting should be addressed to FBI_HQStaffing@fbi.gov
The mission of the FBI is to protect the American people and uphold the Constitution of the United States.
IMD creates a world-class knowledge and information-sharing environment which advances the FBI's mission success. Information is a key resource of the FBI. IMD supports the full spectrum of the organization's mission, empowering better decision-making, ensuring institutional integrity and promoting public trust.
GS-7: $43,251.00 - $56,222.00
GS-9: $52,905.00 - $68,777.00
Full Performance Level: GS-12
- Must be able to obtain a Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) clearance
- Selectee will be required to complete certain disclosure forms
- Must be a U.S. citizen
As a Government Information Specialist you will:
- Address routine problems and/or issues.
- Research and clarify the nature of each request/inquiry/case, related issues involved, and details needed to appropriately and effectively respond.
- Consider the various provisions of governing legal and regulatory guidance.
- Provide key input and updates to the FOIPA processing database and other statistical repositories for electronic storage and final processing, based on findings and conclusions.
- Serve as a resource and point of contact on matters involving FOIPA, national security classification, and the FBI.
Applicants can qualify for GS level based on Specialized Experience (SE), Education, or a combination of both as outlined below.
Your application will be evaluated for Specialized Experience (SE) and/or Education, compared to your responses to the online assessment questionnaire, and will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements for each GS level. If you meet all qualification requirements, and are deemed Competitive, you will be referred to respective hiring managers for further consideration. Self-assessment that is not supported by information in your resume, and/or supporting documents, will eliminate you from Competitive status.
Applicants must meet ALL requirements by the closing date of this job posting.
Specialized Experience (SE)
In order for you to qualify based on Specialized Experience (SE) alone, you must possess the SE below for the various GS levels. Please ensure all specialized experience can be identified in your resume.
GS-07: Applicant must possess at least one (1) year of SE equivalent to the GS-05 grade level, as defined below:
- Skill in research and problem-solving techniques to: analyze issues, develop alternatives, and make recommendations about specific FOIPA.
- Skill in oral and written communication to effectively and persuasively coordinate, advise, and convey recommendations.
- Skill with central records systems, classified and unclassified databases, and records management technologies.
Education may be substituted for SE, and all degrees must be from an accredited college or university. Transcripts are required when qualifying based on education.
GS-07: Applicant must have a bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement of a GPA of 3.0 or higher as recorded on an official transcript, or one (1) full year of graduate level education.
GS-09: Applicant must have a master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D., if related.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements provided you can show foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
As part of the application process, you will have the opportunity to identify particular skills that relate to the position. If you possess any of the listed skills, please ensure you select those skills on your application.
Hiring managers will have the ability to filter for the skills needed to successfully perform the function of the position. Please ensure any skills you selected can be identified in your resume. If your identified skills match those skills required by the Hiring Manager(s), you will be deemed Most Competitive.
How to Apply
For detailed instructions related to applying, uploading documents, withdrawing an application or updating your application, please review instructions on How to Apply . You must complete this application process and submit all required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the closing date of this posting. If applying online is a hardship, please use the contact information listed in the job posting prior to the closing date for assistance.
The required documents include:
1. A resume (noting relevant work experience and associated start and end dates)
2. A complete online assessment questionnaire
3. College transcript(s) (if qualifying based on education)
4. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (if applicable)
- Attach the Memorandum of Understanding to your application in the "Cover Letters and Attachments" section of My Career Tools on the Careers Home page. Please upload the attachment as type "Other."
For current or former federal employees:
• Notification of your most recent Personnel Action, SF-50 (showing current grade level and salary).
• Most recent Performance Appraisal (if available). Please Note: This does not apply to current FBI employees.
• Please attach your DD-214 and/or statement of eligibility
• Disabled Veterans - attach your DD-214, SF-15, and VA letter dated 1991 or later.
• The FBI is in the Executive Branch of the federal government. It is one of the components of the Department of Justice (DOJ). The FBI is the principle investigative arm of the DOJ. All FBI positions are in the excepted service.
• Applicants must be U.S. citizens and consent to a complete background investigation, urinalysis, and polygraph. You must be suitable for Federal employment; as determined by a background investigation.
• Failure to provide necessary and relevant information required by this job posting may disqualify you from consideration. Additional information will not be requested if your application is incomplete. You application will be evaluated solely on the basis of information you have submitted.
• Management may select any grade for which this position has been announced.
• Identification of promotion potential in this posting does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. Promotion will depend upon administrative approval and the continuing need for an actual assignment and performance of higher-level duties.
• If you are hired, you will be required to serve a two-year probationary period. Probationary employees are precluded from being considered for all job opportunities until 12-months of their two-year probationary period has concluded. Probationary employees may be considered for competitive vacancies that are advertised within their respective division or field office after serving 90 days within the FBI.
• Limited Movement: Policy has been implemented wherein support employees entering a position through a competitive OR non-competitive action may be precluded from moving to another position within the Bureau by means of reassignment or change to lower grade for a minimum of 12 months. This policy is waived for qualified personnel permanently assigned to Divisions identified to relocate to Huntsville, Alabama.
If you are entitled to veterans' preference, you should indicate the type of veterans' preference you are claiming on your resume and application. Your veterans' preference entitlement will be verified by the FBI.
Nepotism is the act of favoring relatives in the hiring process, and is prohibited by law. Public officials are prohibited from hiring or promoting relatives, or relatives of officials in their chain of command, as well as actively or indirectly endorsing a relative's appointment or promotion. During the hiring process, all selected candidates and FBI hiring managers will be required to certify they are not related to anyone involved in the hiring process.
Reasonable Accommodation Request
The FBI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please notify the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity Affairs (OEEOA) Reasonable Accommodation (RA) Program by either e-mail at REASONABLE_ACCOMMODATIONS@ic.fbi.gov, telephone at 202-324-4128, or FAX at 202-324-3976. Your request will receive an individualized assessment.
This e-mail address is only for reasonable accommodation requests. Please do not submit your application and/or any questions unrelated to reasonable accommodations. Should any applications be received, they will not be forwarded for consideration during the hiring process.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The FBI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for this vacancy. Except where otherwise prohibited by law, selection will be made without regard to, and there will be no discrimination because of color, race, religion, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, parental status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, age, sex, sexual orientation, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism, or any other non-merit factors.
Back to top