VP, Total Rewards
- Washington, DC
At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to impact the future of the housing industry while being part of an inclusive team thriving in an energizing, flexible environment. Here, you will help lead our industry forward and make your career.
As the Vice President, Total Rewards, you will lead the design and execution of the Total Rewards strategy targeted at attracting, retaining and engaging talent in support of meeting short-term and long-term workforce needs of the company. In this role, you will lead specialized teams focused on day-to-day operations of employee compensation, recognition and employee benefits. This role will advise senior management on the Total Rewards strategy and the supporting programs, processes and practices. You will also be responsible for identifying opportunities to continuously improve and evolve the total rewards function. The VP, Total Rewards actively engages with business unit management and our regulator on executive and broad-based compensation matters and oversees reporting and analyses for management, the Board of Directors, and regulatory agencies.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
The VP, Total Rewards role will offer you the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
• Architect and execute a competitive, end-to-end Total Rewards strategy that aligns with Fannie's overall talent agenda
• Collaborate effectively with a wide variety of internal stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, FHFA (our regulator), senior management, internal clients, the head of human resources, and compensation/benefit team members
• Leverage knowledge of market conditions and competitive talent landscape to design tailored strategies for compensation concerning key talent segments
• Review the mix of benefits offered to employees and assess their effectiveness; make recommendations to vary offerings based on current best practices, cost, and utility of benefits to employees
• Manage and oversee the design, implementation, administration, maintenance, and reporting of executive and equity compensation programs and initiatives
• Direct studies and analyses for business unit or general management, and engage resources such as external consultants, as needed, to inform the resolution of compensation-related questions and issues
• Evaluate employee recognition approaches based on best practices and employee engagement objectives; recommend enhancements and partner with other People leaders in support of an integrated talent agenda, particularly with respect to recruiting, learning and development, performance management, compensation, and recognition
• Confer with legal team or outside counsel on legal aspects of plan design, administration, or contested cases. Support timely and accurate drafting and submission of legally mandated reports (summary plan descriptions, Form 5500's, etc.)
• Collaborate with benefits providers on renewals or service bids, utilization experience, cost management, and plan design options; review vendors' performance and recommend changes to management
• Plan acquisition and use of resources, tools, platforms and technology solutions for market pricing, compensation offer development, process management and communications
• Report to senior management on the team's production, activities, and efforts; plan and manage the team's budget
• Represent the team as an expert or resource to cross-functional project or coordinating teams
• Coach and develop direct reports and instill a culture of ongoing development for all employees on Total Rewards team
THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
• 15+ years of professional experience; 10+ years of experience dedicated to the total rewards or compensation function
• Experience serving in a leadership capacity at a large, complex public company with a strong commitment to HR and/or talent strategies
• Comprehensive knowledge of incentive- and recognition-based compensation, benefits programs
• Experience working in a highly regulated industry highly preferred
• Strong understanding of the relationship between compensation & benefits and the achievement of business goals
• Experience building Total Rewards strategies for a highly specialized and professional employee population inclusive of technologists, financial analysts, legal professionals, etc.
• Thorough knowledge of best practices around incentive-based compensation strategies, especially leveraging bonus plans and various stock LTI plans
• Ability to embrace the challenge of designing compensation programs that simultaneously meet the needs of a competitive marketplace and the requisite regulatory approvals of a Government Sponsored Enterprise
• Long term strategic vision to identify Fannie Mae's compensation/benefits approach, focus and methodology
• Ability to understand the unique needs of each business unit, and to develop a targeted strategy to meet those needs
The future is what you make it to be. Discover compelling opportunities at careers.fanniemae.com.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, personal appearance, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the application process, email us at email@example.com.
Successful job applicants will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Back to top