Senior DevOps Engineer
- Reston, VA
At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to modernize the nation's housing finance system while being part of an inclusive team using new, emerging technologies. Here, you will help lead our industry forward, enhance your technical expertise, and make your career.
We are looking for a highly creative and intellectually curious DevOps Engineer who is passionate about enabling the continuous delivery and creating value for the end user.
As a DevOps Engineer on the Underwriting Core (UWC) System Team, which supports Desktop Underwriter (DU) and other critical customer-facing underwriting applications, you will support a portfolio of critical applications. You will be a visionary for automation, cloud native, virtualization, process improvement, elimination of manual tasks, and want to help create and promote a culture of learning and experimentation. You will be working to accelerating Fannie Mae's Single Family transformation to DevOps and Cloud practices. As part of this engineering practice, you will be specialized in helping our application team to drive efficiency and reliability into their entire development to operations lifecycle. You will strategize and implement best practices and solutions for applications utilizing CI/CD and the Cloud and distributed version control development practice. You will assess associated risks and vulnerability on software and tools, monitoring, infrastructure and release automation.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
In this role you will have the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
- Actively participate in Agile ceremonies including product planning, grooming, demonstration and retrospectives.
- Independently plan and deliver committed functionality within your expertise.
- Identify opportunities to automate operations activities that slow the delivery process.
- Present and or defend the work to the team or other organizations and effectively communicates ideas in both technical and non-technical terms.
- Collaborate with multiple stakeholders to design and improve the software deployment pipeline and to maintain high-quality deployment artifacts as they move through the entire deployment pipeline.
- Design, implement, and maintain DevOps automation toolsets for configuration management, infrastructure and application deployment processes.
- Create reusable automation libraries and APIs that can be applied across the enterprise.
- Standardize change, validation, and deployment processes to reduce complexity.
- Ensure predictable, consistent and successful delivery of software releases by defining success criteria upfront to promote alignment, and actively manage to project outcomes and ensure compliance with defined controls and SLA's.
- Implement application and infrastructure monitoring and maintains play books and relevant documentation in support of the different application platforms.
- Develop sound version control best practices based configuration management systems (Git, SVN) including branching and merging strategies.
- Collaborate with technology teams involved in the release process to ensure compliance with defined SLAs.
- Contribute in developing best practices for software build tools (Maven, Gradle, Make, ANT) and continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Hudson), and infrastructure automation (Puppet, Terraform, Cloudformation).
THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience (required)
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Expertise in development methodologies and coding languages (e.g. Bash, Python)
- 3+ years of experience in systems engineering or administration
- Experience with CI/CD, test-driven development, and release management
- Ability to lead technical teams through the design and implementation of automation
- Deep understanding of modern Web, SOA/Microservice and Cloud Native architecture.
- 2-3 years of experience in creating Pipeline as Code and shared libraries (Jenkins, Groovy)
- 1-2 years of experience in implementing Cloud based DevOps practices and Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Cloudformation, AWS Boto3)
- 1+ years of experience in rolling out container-based solutions (Docker, Kubernetes, AWS ECS/EKS)
- Solid understanding of Unix/Linux operating system and proficient in writing shell scripts.
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef)
- Proficiency with relational and NoSQL databases (Oracle, PostgreSQL, AWS RDS, AWS DynamoDB)
- Ability to implement engineering best practices and techniques (Trunk Based Development, Test Pyramid, Feature Toggles, Blue-Green Deployment, 12 Factors and others)
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced agile development setup.
- Industry certification is a plus.
The future is what you make it to be. Discover compelling opportunities at careers.fanniemae.com.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, personal appearance, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the application process, email us at email@example.com.
Successful job applicants will be required to successfully complete a background investigation.
Back to top