Associate Accounting Opportunities
- Washington, DC
At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to impact the future of the housing industry while being part of an inclusive team thriving in an energizing, flexible environment. Here, you will help lead our industry forward and make your career.
The Controller's division at Fannie Mae is fast paced, with dedicated individuals all working for the betterment of the housing industry and doing their part to support our mission. The team is responsible for all aspects of accounting operations, including the timely and accurate accounting and reporting of Fannie Mae's loans, mortgage-backed securities, and single-family real estate owned (REO) properties, as well as funding and risk management instruments. As part of this team, you will engage with highly motivated professionals who seek to continuously learn, grow and add value to the organization every day. These are talented professionals like yourself - accountants, as well as financial and economic modelers and analysts who inform related financial functions such as pricing valuations, credit reserves, and forecasts of home prices. The work is complex, interesting, and will stretch your knowledge of how a robust accounting system handles an immense amount of transactions throughout the life of a mortgage loan. Are you ready to join the leading source of mortgage financing and help shape the future of the industry?
Fannie Mae has multiple Accounting roles available within its Controller's organization. Apply now to learn more about our unique rotational program for accountants and join the growing team of top talent at our centrally located Washington, DC Headquarters.
THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKE
As an Accounting Associate, you'll have the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
- Partner in assessing operational impacts of key business activities that underly your accounting responsibilities
- Perform deep analytics and reporting on daily, monthly, and quarterly results to provide insights to stakeholders and make projections of prospective financial performance
- Interact, collaborate, and problem solve directly with finance and key business partners, including finance, accounting, and legal teams, as well as internal and external auditors
- Own portions of the monthly financial close process, such as ensuring subledger systems appropriately record transactions into the general ledger
THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAM
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics
- Experience implementing new SEC and/or FASB accounting standards, including GAAP principles
- Experience working in large, complex accounting systems
Years of Experience
- 2+ years of experience
- Knowledge or experience in the Mortgage or broader Financial Services industry
- Experience with robust reporting tools such as Tableau or Business Objects
- Certified as a public accountant (CPA) or functional equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to work with and challenge business contacts to interpret issues and properly apply finance and accounting principles in operational processes, systems, and reporting
- Ability to effectively analyze and problem solve by breaking complex issues into smaller components and determining a path forward
- Flexibility and adaptability in taking on new assignments and navigating changes to current processes in order to meet management's evolving needs
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and demonstrated ability to interact with employees at all levels, including senior management
- Ability to learn and adopt new technologies as it relates to financial analysis
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity, attention to detail, and self-review of work
Key Functions within the Controllers Organization
As a member of the Controller's function and part of their rotational program, you will have an opportunity to support a variety of accounting functions, including:
The Loan Accounting team is responsible for the accounting operations of nearly $3 trillion in assets encompassing our Single-Family loans and real estate owned properties. Accountants on our team learn (1) intricate aspects of accounting policies, (2) how those policies relate to our business of acquiring, securitizing and managing 17 million loans and (3) the details of how our loan accounting system handles various facets of the accounting close for those loans.
Capital Markets and Multifamily Accounting
The Capital Markets and Multifamily Accounting team encompasses operational accounting for several areas of the business, including corporate debt, derivatives, overnight investments, treasury, MBS issuances, MBS and REMIC re-securitization, principle and interest payments for securities, amortization, MBS buys and sells, and Multi-Family loan accounting. This team of 40+ highly skilled accountants leverages our robust, comprehensive accounting platform and related analytic capabilities to provide meaningful insights to our business partners.
The Financial Reporting team is a dynamic group of professionals responsible for all our SEC reporting (10K/Q's) as well as critical regulatory, investor, and management reporting. In addition, we play a key role in assessing the reporting and disclosure impact of new products, business transactions, and changes in accounting guidance. Our goal is to deliver smart, insightful reporting that helps both internal and external stakeholders understand Fannie Mae's results and value to the mortgage finance industry.
Please note that this invitation is NOT an active opening/posting. Submitting an application constitutes an expression of interest in future similar active openings at Fannie Mae. A recruiter will review your qualifications and, if an active opening becomes available in the future that meets your skill set, you may be contacted.
The future is what you make it to be. Discover compelling opportunities at careers.fanniemae.com.
Fannie Mae is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, personal appearance, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation in the application process, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top