Every Sunday, we have a half million of our closest friends over to our place to watch the game and, well maybe, we make a few friendly bets – actually, we usually make about 3 million of them.
Our customers see odds, lines, spreads, play-by-play updates, deposits, and withdrawals.
We see only data, data, data, data, data, and data. Each contest generates tens of millions of individual data points that have to be collected, combined, understood, and acted on. All at the speed of the game. No time-outs.
This is not a sports job. This is a data job.
(The jocks work for the nerds now.)
Data drives our organization. As a Data Engineer at FanDuel, you will help us unlock the full potential of our vast amounts of real-time and relational data, provide our business with insight, and delight our customers with a world-class personalized experience. You will help us turn every click our users make, every bet, every touchdown, every fumble, and every play into a real-time stream of knowledge allowing us to make better and faster decisions – outplaying our competition.
In this role, you will partner with the engineering teams building our online applications, data scientists mining our data and training our models, and our analysts who make the data mean something. You will help us organize, model, and present our data as a coherent product and offer it to our stakeholders, providing a common information framework that allows FanDuel to intelligently react to what is happening on the field and in the marketplace.
We are looking for Data Engineers of all skill levels or experienced engineers from other disciplines who may be looking to make the move to a big data environment. If this describes you, read on – we want to hear from you!
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer, ideally well versed in Python, with a deep understanding of large-scale data handling and processing best practices in a cloud environment. You should be comfortable building complex yet performant SQL queries on large data sets. Our current stack, orchestrated via Airflow, is built on AWS with Spark on Amazon EMR for batch processing into a Redshift data warehouse. We are now implementing Databricks into the mix as well. Demonstrating a need to simplify and refine existing processes is an important value. We want to hear about how you supported your creations and extended their functionality as the business needs evolved.
Experience working with analysts and stakeholders would be a plus.
Looking ahead to the next phase of our data platform, we are keen to do more with real-time data processing and working with our data scientists to create machine learning pipelines. We would love to hear how you have tackled these before.
As you grow at FanDuel, you will:
- Advance your career within well-defined, skill-based tracks, either as an individual contributor or as a manager – both providing equal opportunities for compensation and advancement
- Apply your experience and intellect as part of an autonomous team with end-to-end ownership of key components of our data architecture
- Serve as a mentor to more junior engineers not only in cultivating craftsmanship but also in achieving operational excellence – system reliability, automation, data quality, and cost-efficiency
Data engineering is a rapidly changing field – most of all, we’re looking for someone who enjoys experimenting, keeping their finger on the pulse of current data engineering tools, and always thinking about how to do something better.
What you get in return
Beyond working with such a great team?
- An exciting environment with real growth
- Contribute to exciting products used by a highly passionate user base
- Personal learning and development opportunities
- Flexible holiday allowance
- 401K plan with company match
- Attractive health insurance premiums
ABOUT FANDUEL GROUP
FanDuel Group is a world-class team of brands and products all built with one goal in mind — to give fans new and innovative ways to interact with their favorite games, sports, teams, and leagues. That’s no easy task, which is why we’re so dedicated to building a winning team. And make no mistake, we are here to win, but we believe in winning right. That means we’ll never compromise when it comes to looking out for our teammates. From our many opportunities for professional development to our generous insurance and paid leave policies, we’re committed to making sure our employees get as much out of FanDuel as we ask them to give.
FanDuel Group is based in New York, with offices in Atlanta, California, New Jersey, Florida, Oregon and Scotland. Our brands include:
- FanDuel — A game-changing real-money fantasy sports app
- FanDuel Sportsbook — America’s #1 sports betting app
- TVG — The best-in-class horse racing TV/media network and betting platform
- FanDuel Racing — A horse racing app built for the average sports fan
- FanDuel Casino & Betfair Casino — Fan-favorite online casino apps
- FOXBet — A world-class betting platform and an affiliate of FanDuel Group
- PokerStars — The premier online poker product and an affiliate of FanDuel Group
FanDuel is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity and inclusion in FanDuel means that we respect and value everyone as individuals. We don't tolerate bias, judgment or harassment. Our focus is on developing employees so that they reach their full potential.