Help Desk/Associate Systems Engineer
At Factual, where we're hard at work organizing and optimizing the world's location information. Our team is focused on understanding the physical world. This involves cleaning, structuring, and delivering our dataset of over 100 million places and managing petabyte scale data, million QPS APIs, and lots of pipelines to analyze messy data. To make our goals a reality, we end up taking on unusual problems with small, focused teams made up of highly motivated people.
About the Role:
At Factual, we're a fairly technical group, even outside of engineering, so Helpdesk duties are more about provisioning accounts, managing equipment, managing security, and researching software tools than they are about figuring out why someone can't print. Sometimes, though, someone can't print, so helping them is also definitely part of the job.
Much of the time, there won't be pressing Helpdesk issues, and during that time, we'll be counting on you to help with advanced sysops/devops problems, making this role an excellent opportunity for less experienced technologists to develop advanced systems and devops skills.
In this role, you'll have the opportunity to work with serious infrastructure that is servicing large amounts of data and traffic. You will partner with a large and outstanding engineering team, and employ state-of-the-art tools and techniques.
As a Helpdesk/Systems Engineer at Factual, you will:
- Share support burden for mostly technical internal staff
- Maintain computing and networking infrastructure
- Do devops and automation of internal and production infrastructure
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures
- Perform system/network monitoring & troubleshooting
- Participate in on-call rotation duties
- Linux and MacOS experience
- A strong desire to provide excellent customer service to your coworkers
- Understanding of network protocols and security
- Thrive in a startup environment and enjoy wearing many hats
- Experience with some of: dns, dhcp, ldap, kerberos, etc
- Scripting skills (ruby, python, bash)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience with Docker, Mesos or Kubernetes
- Relocation not provided.
Meet Some of Factual's Employees
Rudy writes web and network applications for Factual's API and Data Team. His work helps ensure that Factual's API can deliver data quickly and reliably.
Back to top