Wireless Communications Systems Intern
(Menlo Park, CA – Woodland Hills, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking interns who will help develop theory, algorithms, and simulations relating to advanced digital wireless communication concepts. The Connectivity Lab team has been working on developing new platforms for connectivity on the ground, in the air and in orbit. For all of these systems, the team is looking at free-space optical communication, a way of using light to transmit data through space using invisible, infrared laser beams. To make this a reality, we need to scale our infrastructure and ensure that it operates efficiently so that we can deliver innovative services.This is a full-time, 12 week internship position and we have opportunities in Menlo Park and Woodland Hills, CA.
- Contribute to wireless communication system development for a variety of connectivity scenarios
- Optical system/component design, characterization, prototyping and metrology development for optical communication projects
- Researching, prototyping and implementing projects in the optical communication space
- Work with and get feedback from the cross-functional engineering team in the Connectivity Lab
- Interface with communication systems engineers, RF engineers, and technicians to develop wireless channel sounding waveforms
- Test out transmitters/receivers in the laboratory environment to validate and refine channel sounding methodology
- Develop back-end processing of the collected channel samples in MATLAB/Simulink
- Develop long term data logging capability
- Execute tests according to plan, while keeping a thorough procedural record and data log
- Pursuing a Master’s or PhD degree in electrical engineering
- Experience in MATLAB/Simulink, Labview, C/C++
- Given the nature of this role, certain candidates may require export license approval under the U.S. export control or trade sanctions laws to be hired. Facebook has unilateral discretion to determine whether to apply for any export license or other approval that may be required. Should Facebook elect to apply for a license, please be advised that there is no guarantee that the United States Government will issue an export license or other approval.
- Experience with lab equipment such as high speed oscilloscopes, Spectrum Analyzers, Signal Generators, Arbitrary Waveform Generators
- Prior wireless channel sounding experience in millimeter wave and microwave frequencies
- Experience in time-domain and frequency-domain wireless communication system design
- Experience with troubleshooting and analytics
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top