Well-being Quantitative Researcher
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Well-being team seeks to have a deep understanding of the impact Facebook and our family of apps have on people's lives. The knowledge we gain is used to shape company strategy and to improve or create new products to support the well-being of people on our platforms.
Our work is informed by external research from academia and our own internal research. To succeed, we need to measure and understand the impact our products have on the people and communities who use our apps and services. We're looking for people with strong quantitative research skills to help in this effort.
The ideal candidate will be a quantitative social scientist with expertise in survey methodology (e.g., bias correction, sampling), measurement (e.g., creating survey and data-based measurement systems, validation), designing and analyzing longitudinal and experimental research, and quantitative data skills (e.g., combining log data with surveys, SQL). Subject matter expertise in well-being, loneliness, social capital, or a related domain is preferred. The ideal candidate will be passionate about technology being used to support well-being and eager to make a difference - at Facebook and for the 2+ billion people who use Facebook services across the world.
- Shape the research agenda and drive quantitative research projects from end-to-end
- Collaborate with diverse teams across the Facebook family of apps (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Messenger, Oculus) to define relevant questions about survey methodology and quantitative measurement
- Deploy appropriate quantitative methodologies to answer those questions
- Develop novel approaches where traditional methods won't do
- Design and analyze research from longitudinal and experimental studies
- Provide the company and teams with usable measurement strategies and methodologies to meet product and company business decision needs
- Use log data to combine with and complement survey results
- Keep up-to-date on academic literature in the well-being space, summarize and communicate out to broader team
- Establish collaboration and research partnership opportunities with leading academics
- Deliver insights and recommendations clearly to a variety of audiences
- Experience communicating analyses and results to a variety of audiences
- Master's or Ph.D. in the social sciences (e.g., Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, Communication), or in a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics, Informatics, Econometrics) with experience answering social research questions
- Knowledge in data manipulation and analysis software and programming languages (R/Stata, SQL/Hive)
- Knowledge in quantitative and survey research methodologies (e.g., bias correction for surveys, survey sampling and design, regression modeling, causal inference with a survey outcome, shrinkage and regularization, designing and analyzing longitudinal panel surveys, behavioral data analysis, experimental research design and analysis)
- Experience with Unix, Python, and large datasets (> 1TB)
- Subject matter expertise in well-being or social capital
Back to top