Visiting Scientist, Core Data Science
- London, United Kingdom
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Visiting Scientist to join Core Data Science (CDS). CDS is a research and development team, working to improve Facebook's products, infrastructure, and processes. We generate real-world impact through a combination of scientific rigor and methodological innovation. We are an interdisciplinary team, with expertise in computer science, statistics, machine learning, economics, political science, operations research, and computational social science, among many other fields. This diversity of perspectives enriches our research and expands the scope and scale of projects we can address. The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in producing new research in scientific domains which interact with Facebook's mission and products. They will collaborate with the CDS team and others across the company to produce high quality research which will have short or long term influence on our work. As part of interviewing for this role we expect to discuss specific research ideas. We will develop those into a specific proposal together with any team members interested in collaborating. List of current interests includes but is not limited to: Models of complex social processes, network science. Survey methodology and causal inference, particularly in conjunction with Big Data. Applications of Machine Learning in statistical problems (such as prevalence measurement or quantification). Coordination of strategic agents and incentives analysis through algorithmic game theory tools.* Algorithmic fairness, accountability, and transparency. This position will be full time and fixed term. Term length would be considered on a case by case basis. We are inviting applications from faculty considering sabbaticals as well as post doctoral researchers.
- Drive & collaborate on research advancing the state of the art in areas that are of mutual interest.
- Contribute research that can be applied to Facebook product development.
- Influence progress of the relevant research communities by producing publications.
- Collaborate on existing CDS projects as a contributing team member.
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, statistics, machine learning, economics, political science, operations research, computational social science or related fields.
- Experience doing empirical research using data analysis tools such as R or Python, with packages such as NumPy, SciPy, pandas, scikit-learn, tidyverse etc.
- Track record of publications in area of expertise.
- Ability to initiate, drive and collaborate on research projects all the way to completion with minimal guidance.
- The ability to communicate scientific work in a clear manner.
- Experience in lower level languages such as C++, Java.
- Experience in scalable dataset assembly / data wrangling, such as Presto, Hive or Spark.
Back to top