Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, Global Litigation
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook seeks an experienced, highly motivated attorney to serve as Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, Global Litigation, responsible for designing and implementing a global strategy to manage litigation risk involving the company and its affiliates across all litigation matters worldwide. Areas of focus include privacy, antitrust/competition, intermediary liability, securities, platform integrity, patent, trade secret, trademark, enforcement and other matters. He/She will manage and oversee all litigation processes, maintenance and disclosure of Facebook's contingent liability reserves, and key outside counsel relationships. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience leading and managing trial teams, overseeing complex, high-stakes, high profile litigation, counseling executive stakeholders, and will possess exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated expertise managing large in-house litigation teams or comparable management experience in private practice is required.
This is a unique opportunity to lead a global team of experienced professionals, set the strategic direction for the litigation team, and work on novel issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
This candidate will be a business-focused litigator who uses knowledge of the law and business to advise on risk/reward trade-offs, both for individual cases and larger business strategy. The successful candidate will gain credibility with the executive leadership team by communicating highly technical concepts concisely while providing alternatives and recommendations to leadership. The Head of Litigation must lead and develop her or his team with transparency and integrity, creating an environment where litigation is viewed as a partner and involved early in strategic initiatives. The successful candidate will have a strong relationship with members of the management teams and the Board of Directors and will have strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of an organization. In this role, she or he must be capable of articulating a thorough and balanced legal strategy and conveying his/her ideas in a persuasive and compelling way that distills complex legal issues for a business audience.
- Provide strategic counseling and advice to the General Counsel and other executives of the company as a key member of the Legal leadership team.
- Drive strategy and execution on litigation matters in the United States and around the world, including identifying and mitigating emerging litigation threats to Facebook's mission.
- Develop and manage a large team of experienced litigators and litigation support personnel, maintaining best practices in litigation management and professional development.
- Work cross-functionally with Facebook executive leadership and teams to ensure compliance with litigation-related obligations, and provide timely and effective guidance on avoiding litigation risks through proactive counseling and "lessons learned" from litigated matters.
- Oversee outside counsel partnerships, including selecting, budgeting, managing and evaluating counsel.
- Advocate for ethics and integrity across Facebook's litigation matters.
- Accurately forecast anticipated litigation costs, timely raising any trends or matters expected to adversely impact budget.
- Represent Facebook in industry and professional organizations and in litigation-related legislative and regulatory lobbying activities as appropriate.
- Provide thought leadership on the delivery of legal services and Facebook's strategic priorities.
- J.D. (or foreign equivalent) with membership in at least one U.S. state bar.
- 15+ years of relevant legal experience, including extensive litigation management and first chair experience.
- Proven track record of providing thoughtful, outside-the-box legal and strategic guidance to an executive team, both in regard to specific litigation and "big picture" results.
- Experience with substantive litigation including privacy, antitrust/competition, securities, intellectual property, electronic discovery, and class action experience.
- Inspiring people manager with a proven record of mentoring and leading a diverse team globally.
- A high-profile litigator at an organization operating in an area with significant public attention and consequences or a well-known reputation in a top tier law firm. Experience with the media surrounding litigation and litigation-related matters strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of, and inquisitive interest in technologies (software, platforms, messaging/wireless/infrastructure, mobile and others) preferred, however technology industry experience not required.
Back to top