Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
At Facebook AR/VR, we are inventing the future. AR/VR technologies and voice-interfaces are becoming a meaningful consumer reality. The AR/VR team builds forward-looking, foundational AI technologies and core capabilities for AR/VR future technology platforms. We also partner with the Facebook family of apps to build consumer experiences and workplace/productivity products. Our team consists of deep machine learning experts and researchers, world-class Search and Ranking Gurus, speech and language experts, seasoned third party Platform engineers, and Designers and Researchers creating the next generation of human-computer interaction. As a user researcher, you will plan, conduct, disseminate, and evangelize research that contributes to our strategy and product definition and design.
We are looking for a user researcher with great communication and people skills. Strong candidates will demonstrate a rigorous approach to UX research methods as well as a passion for the future of consumer technology. In particular, we value researchers with experience in standard generative and evaluative UX research methods, but who also have a history of taking a creative approach to answering new questions about humansâ€™ interaction and experience with technology. Strong candidates will also have experience qualitative research insights about users' needs and goals and developing research programs to ensure these insights are appropriately realized in a product.
Ultimately, your expertise and ingenuity in research must do more than just contribute to knowledge â€" you must also be skilled at driving measurable positive value to the product and to the user experience. Potential areas of research include the design of an intelligent assistant for AR and VR devices, the user value of an intelligent assistant in key AR/VR use cases (and the development of new use cases), synthesis of existing literature on trust in automation, embodied agents, and more. Ultimately, your expertise and ingenuity in research must do more than just contribute to knowledge â€" you must also be skilled at driving measurable positive impact on the product and user experience.
This position is based in Redmond, WA. Some travel required.
- Operationalize qualitative research insights into actionable, measurable UX goals and outcomes, ensuring accountability to these UX goals across the development lifecycle
- Drive impact through a range of research approaches and tools, including internal and external literature review, qualitative methods (observation, contextual inquiry, interview), usability, experimentation, telemetry and quantitative research
- Development of deep expertise in the intelligent assistant space, through consumption of relevant external and internal literature, market and competitive trends, and new, primary research
- Work closely with partner teams (product design, software engineering, ML & AI) to help create a complete picture of our end usersâ€™ experience, including identifying tradeoffs and dependencies across workstreams
- Create close partnerships with a variety of research and product stakeholders to ensure a full understanding of the product team needs and priorities
- Engage with other product researchers in the AR/VR org and other Facebook teams to ensure strong sharing and collaboration practices across Facebook
- Effectively communicate research findings and recommendations to stakeholders and leadership
- Oversee vendor research and partner with other researchers
- MA/MS in Cognitive/Experimental Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Anthropology, Cognitive Human Factors, or a related field
- 3+ years of product research experience
- Experience working across the full product lifecycle, from early generative research, to product ship, to post-ship/in-market UX research
- Experience in designing research to answer questions about the user experience
- 2+ years experience working as the primary investigator on a project
- PhD in Cognitive/Experimental Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Anthropology, Cognitive Human Factors, or a related field
- 5+ years of product research experience
- Experience designing/researching intelligent assistants
- Experience in the AR/VR space
Back to top