(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Thermal Engineer to join our Server Design Team. Our servers and datacenters are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and upon which our innovative services are delivered. This person will be an integral member of the team, responsible for owning the thermal design and optimization for new server hardware topologies. This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park office.
- Design and investigate innovative thermal cooling solutions for hardware systems in large scale.
- Create analytical and numerical models using various Computational Fluid Dynamics tools to describe system thermodynamics
- Develop and execute test plans to measure thermal performance/efficiency of servers
- Simulate and analyze server cooling schemes
- Engage Hardware Design team to ensure proper component design and Data Center Operations team to ensure smooth product deployment
- Engage with external vendors including ODM and component vendors on design, test and production
- Develop and publish case studies/technical papers describing thermal analysis of cooling systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of fluid dynamic and heat transfer (conduction/convection/radiation)
- Ability to create and read mechanical system schematics
- Ability to create mathematical, computational and numerical models of industrial cooling systems
- Skill with analytical and computational tools (Flotherm/ Ansys Icepak)
- Experience with the various fan speed control algorithms (PID control, linear/non-linear control)
- Ability to do thermal validation with equipment such as data acquisition systems, air flow chambers, and environmental chambers
- Record of troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Familiarity with data center cooling system designs
- Skill with analytical and computational tools (MatLab, Future Facilities, Fluent CFD, Microsoft office, and Lab View)
- Experience in Unix/Linux environment
- Experience in custom-made heat sink design/heat pipes/vapor chamber
- Ability to understand server architecture and its associated thermal constraints
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top