(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Thermal Engineer to join our Server Design Team. Our servers and data centers are the foundations upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and upon which our innovative services are delivered. This person will be an integral member of the team, responsible for owning the thermal design and optimization for new server hardware topologies. This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park office.
- Design and investigate innovative thermal cooling solutions for hardware systems in large scale.
- Create analytical and numerical models using various Computational Fluid Dynamics tools to describe system thermodynamics.
- Develop and execute test plans to measure thermal performance/efficiency of servers.
- Simulate and analyze server cooling schemes.
- Engage Hardware Design team to ensure proper component design and Data Center Operations team to ensure smooth product deployment.
- Engage with external vendors including ODM and component vendors on design, test and production.
- Develop and publish case studies/technical papers describing thermal analysis of cooling systems.
- Establish the parameters for thermal design/testing, correlation of design/test results to model predictions.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering with 3+ years experience in thermal design related to servers or network hardware.
- Minimum 3 years of experience using thermal simulation software, such as FloTHERM/Future Facilities/Icepak for optimizing server cooling design.
- Track record of troubleshooting and thermal validation by using lab equipments such as data acquisition systems, air flow chambers, and environmental chambers.
- Experience in designing and optimizing the thermal cooling solution, such as custom-made heat sink design, fan speed control algorithm.
- Experience in creating and interpreting mechanical system schematics by using 3D CAD tool.
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline.
- Familiarity with data center cooling system designs.
- Experience in Unix/Linux environment.
- Ability to understand server architecture and its associated thermal constraints.
- Experience in heat sink manufacturing processes such as Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA).
- Ability to create mathematical, computational and numerical models of industrial cooling systems.
- Experience with analytical and computational tools such as MATLAB or comparable tool.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top