Technical Threat Investigator, Online Safety
The Online Safety, Dangerous Organizations and Individuals team is dedicated to protecting the users of the Facebook family of applications (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus) from the most complex and emerging threats of real world harm. We are a mission driven team with a passion for protecting people. We are seeking an experienced threat investigator to deeply understand how dangerous organizations/individuals manifest and to investigate complex threats, advance investigative methods and use innovative research approaches to protect people from real world violence and harm. You will have the opportunity to work on the most challenging, complicated, and high-visibility security risks the company is facing. The impact of your work will be substantial, as outcomes could affect the billions of people who use our products. The ideal candidate will be an innovative self-starter, who is motivated by our mission and results driven. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park office.
TECHNICAL THREAT INVESTIGATOR, ONLINE SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop deep understanding of how dangerous organizations use and target victims on Facebook products.
- Proactively identify and investigate emerging threats involving terrorism and real world violence/harm.
- Investigate complex cases to understand in granular detail how abuse is occurring and attribute the person(s) responsible. Identify enforcement strategies to mitigate harm both in the current case and from similar forward-looking abuse.
- Research how threats show up within the ecosystem and deeply understand how abuse manifests. Discover and clearly explain emerging threats and trends often with an emphasis on geo-political, cultural or societal specific differences.
- Analyze and interpret large datasets to advance investigations, quantify trends or support findings.
- Identify effective strategies to prevent or disrupt abuse at scale. Consult on the design of countermeasures to effect those strategies.
- Take a leadership role in suggesting, prototyping, and teaching novel investigative techniques.
- Proactively hunt for currently undetected abuse by leveraging internal data, open-source intelligence and third party private intelligence.
- Address sensitive content issues, including but not limited to graphic images, videos, offensive or derogatory language, and other objectionable material.
- Knowledge with Python, PHP or similar scripting languages
- Experience conducting large-scale data analysis
- Experience investigating and acting on threats and online threat actors
- Communications experience
- Experience executing projects
- Experience prioritizing and executing with minimal direction or oversight
- Experience working across the broader security community
- 7+ years of experience in investigations and/or operations in credible threats of violence, dangerous organizations, or relevant safety field
- Experience with open source investigation techniques and familiarity with a variety of internet research tools
- Experience protecting highly confidential information
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com .
Back to top