Technical Sourcing Manager, CPU/Memory
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
The Silicon Sourcing Team moves fast and leverages key partnerships to drive technical innovation, high quality standards and cost-savings via a customized supply chain. The Technical Sourcing Manager is the primary technical contact for supplier engagement and management with the CPU, GPU and DRAM suppliers and, in conjunction with the Commercial Sourcing Manager, will drive the strategic sourcing decisions on a global basis. Working closely with the Hardware Engineering team, the Technical Sourcing Manager will help develop, communicate and implement sourcing strategies, and participate in supplier engagements with an overall focus of influencing technology roadmaps, maintaining long term supplier relationships, and managing to the lowest total cost of ownership. This position reports to the Director of Silicon Sourcing and is based at our headquarters in Menlo Park.
- Maintain current knowledge of the technology and industry trends for the assigned commodities, and perform competitive analysis on relevant products.
- Develop, manage and refresh individual and customized technology and commodity sourcing strategies and roadmaps for each actively managed technology (CPU/DRAM/GPU)
- Develop and maintain deep technical relationships with executive management at core silicon suppliers. Influence supplier technology roadmaps to ensure Facebook's system architecture and technical requirements are met
- In conjunction with Hardware Engineering and Technical Program Management, lead the creation and definition of future technology directions in the assigned commodity
- Provide technical commodity and supplier expertise and consulting to design engineering for technology migration and lower TCO
- Provide technical review and analysis for, and responses to, supplier proposals and RFQs. Resolve all technical queries arising from the quote process
- Drive pre-POR evaluation of key technologies usability /suitability within the Facebook infrastructure. Work with key internal partners on SW and tools that enable a timely evaluation
- Own technical expertise in supplier negotiations and provide review and input for product development and master supply agreements
- Work closely with hardware engineers to develop and execute part qualification and acceptance plans for new or alternative sourced parts.
- Work with hardware engineers to ensure part specifications and requirements are within broad commodity and supplier capabilities avoiding special or unique SKUs
- Develop supplier technical process improvement plans to drive positive gain cost, quality, reduced qualification and time to deployment
- Support product transfer from NPI to mass-production
- BSEE or degree in a related technical field, or equivalent combination of education and experience commodity management in high tech environment
- 10+ years of technical experience in the CPU/DRAM/GPU technology space with some level of supply chain/operations engagement with the key technology drivers and suppliers in the industry, including demonstrated success in developing and managing overall supplier performance
- Demonstrated understanding of relevant supplier technology roadmaps and a proven pragmatic approach to influencing supplier product roadmaps
- Proven ability to move seamlessly from strategy to execution and deliver tangible results
- Interpersonal and communication skills, with ability to influence, negotiate, build consensus and make key strategic decisions
- Proven experience interfacing with and establishing technical relationships with senior management at Memory/CPU suppliers
- Demonstrated ability to interface with internal and external partners in a fast-paced, often ambiguous, entrepreneurial and cross-functional environment, requiring a wide latitude for independent judgment while coordinating people and technical resources.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top