Technical Project Lead, Building 8
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
Building 8 brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories and that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world. The B8 team will apply DARPA-style breakthrough development at the intersection of ambitious science and product development. It will operate on aggressive, fixed timelines, with extensive use of partnerships in universities, small and large businesses. Building 8 seeks Technical Project Leads who are entrepreneurial engineers, scientists, and product developers, comfortable working with diverse multi-disciplinary teams, and with the demonstrated skill to formulate an effort from inception to product and handle the responsibilities typically associated with a CEO-level position in a technical start up. As a TPL, you will play a critical leadership role in scoping the effort, communicating it to others, creating the partnerships necessary to achieve targeted results, and hitting key milestones.We are looking for slightly impatient individuals willing to face down their fear of failure to accomplish bold things. This is a two-year position based in our Menlo Park office.If you have the qualifications of a TPL and have ideas consistent with Facebook's mission and the charter of Building 8, please apply.
- Develop and lead product development projects that break new ground and define categories at the intersection of hardware, software, and content consistent with Facebook's mission.
- Transition hardware projects to product shipment at scale.
- Day-to-day decision-making and leadership for project including both the science/engineering elements and product development.
- Leadership and oversight through all phases of the project: identification/quantification/analysis of opportunity, planning of timelines, budget, partners and talent, project execution, and product ship implementation.
- Perform risk mitigation analysis, critical path determination, and change management on projects throughout their life including engineering assessments, design reviews, partner mix, team/project focus, execution, budget, intellectual property management, etc.
- Communicate project objectives and reasoning to broad audiences as a means for managing and driving strategic partner engagement
- drive partner deliverables.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Passion for Facebook's mission.
- Leadership experience driving projects scientifically, from a product deliverable perspective, including managing budgets, contracts, talent, IP, etc.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in engineering or scientific discipline or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years experience leading teams and/or in scientific/engineering product development.
- Experience in leading aggressive timeline, multi-partner initiatives.
- Deep expertise in at least one discipline with a deep and demonstrated curiosity for others.
- Experience with diverse performers across multiple disciplines is beneficial.
- Strong organizational communication and coordination skills along with multi-tasking capabilities to get things done in a fast-paced environment.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top