Technical Program Manager, WhatsApp Privacy
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
WhatsApp is a fast, simple and reliable way to talk to anyone in the world. More than 1.5 billion people in over 180 countries use WhatsApp to stay in touch with friends and family, anytime and anywhere. WhatsApp is not only free but also available on multiple mobile devices and in low connectivity areas - making it accessible and reliable wherever you are. It's a simple and secure way to share your favorite moments, send important information or catch up with a friend. WhatsApp helps people connect and share no matter where they are in the world. Few organizations serve a community globally at this scale, and ensuring the highest levels of privacy and security for this community is an incredibly exciting and challenging mission!
As a Technical Program Manager in the WhatsApp Engineering team, you will play a key role defining and driving impactful engineering projects, solving complex systems problems and building platforms that power WhatsApp's Software and infrastructure. You will tackle challenging issues of scale, reliability, efficiency, privacy and security while delivering a delightful, simple user experience to a global user base. You also have the proven ability to go deep into mobile client architecture & infrastructure along with a solid understanding of privacy and cloud infrastructure. You will be expected to be a highly effective communicator, articulate & implement a clear direction in both product & technical dimensions, and build strong partnerships across cross-functional teams. This is a full-time position based in our main office in Menlo Park.
- Work in a fast-paced and iterative technical environment with engineering leaders across software, data, and partner teams.
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various system resources.
- Proactively identify and analyze complex, long-term, critical infrastructure problems with engineering leaders and stakeholders.
- Achieve alignment in ambiguous or contentious areas to drive product decisions.
- Define and own key metrics and key quality and performance indicators.
- Collaborate extensively within TPM and with cross-functional engineering teams to create and execute a structure for successful delivery of programs.
- Provide hands-on program management during various phases of the program including day-to-day coordination of tasks.
- Identify process improvements to minimize manual effort by driving build out of automation and workflow tooling engines.
- Develop a communication strategy for the cross-functional team and stakeholders at different levels of the organization to align, influence and deliver on goals.
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or technical product/program management experience.
- Experience delivering tech programs or products from inception to delivery.
- Knowledge of user needs, gathering requirements, and defining scope.
- Experience operating autonomously across multiple teams, demonstrated critical thinking, and thought leadership.
- Communication experience and experience working with technical management teams to develop systems, solutions, and products.
- Organizational, coordination and multi-tasking experience. Analytical and problem-solving experience with large-scale systems.
- Experience establishing work relationships across multi-disciplinary teams and multiple partners in different time zones.
- 10 or more years of experience with project management, program management, software engineering, or systems engineering.
- Bachelor or Master in Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, exposure to large-scale systems.
- Knowledge of large-scale distributed systems.
- Interpersonal skills, including relationship building and collaboration within a diverse, cross-functional team.
- Ability to motivate and focus a large collaboration to reach challenging goals.
- Strong organizational and coordination skills along with multi-tasking capabilities to get things done in a fast paced environment.
- Communication skills and experience working with highly technical management teams.
- Direct experience in the privacy, security or integrity space, can rally groups with strong conflicting views and execute well.
- Passionate about protecting User Privacy & Data Use.
Back to top