Technical Program Manager, Video
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
This TPM will support video playback programs. A person in this role will support and plan execution of our video playback programs, will work with cross-functional teams including our critical partners, to understand requirements and align on priorities, and will work to develop a plan and roadmap that delivers critical video playback experience and client functionalities. One of the primary objectives for this TPM is to lead execution and communications in this space.
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive hybrid engineering and data science efforts.
- Lead technical discussion with conviction, be a subject matter expert and have strategic influence.
- Drive product design, scoping and project management.
- Work closely with teams in TPM and our partner teams to drive various projects to a successful completion.
- Identify key metrics/measures that will be used to evaluate success and validate the business impact of the program.
- Developing and maintaining the system requirements management plan.
- Ability to understand high level architecture for system dependencies and translate these into technical roadmaps.
- Align cross-functional stakeholders on objectives and goals for the program, gather and prioritize requirements.
- Manage expectations of all interested parties - define clear program with key deliverable and milestone dates. Maintain program status pages and provide frequent program updates. Identify and communicate risks and adjustments to the overall program.
- Managing the program risk by leading a regular cadence of risk meetings, updating the risk register, and implementing risk mitigation.
- Evangelize strategic direction, influence cross-functional teams and communicate status to stakeholder teams.
- Drive towards problem resolution despite ambiguity or uncertainty.
- Build relationships, gain consensus, remove tension/roadblocks and focus on the solution.
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or technical product/program management experience.
- Communication experience and experience working with technical management teams to develop systems, solutions, and products.
- Organizational, coordination, and multi-tasking experience.
- Analytical and problem-solving experience with systems.
- Experience establishing work relationships across multi-disciplinary teams and multiple partners in different time zones.
- Experience in applied technology and translating strategic initiatives into tactical, objective programs.
- Organizational and time management experience. Proven experience executing on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Video: Adaptive Video Streaming protocols such as HLS, MPEG-DASH, Adobe HDS or MS Smooth Streaming.
- General protocol knowledge such as RTMP, TS over UDP/RTP, HTTP, QUIC and WEBRTC, Video & Audio codecs, content protection and digital rights management (DRM), Video delivery technologies (CDN, caching).
- Familiar with media playback on the web and in mobile apps (MSE, EME, video tag) and player/quality metrics.
- Experience in product vision and strategy.
- Ability to collaborate with different individuals/teams across the organization and within other geographies, and "roll-up their sleeves" in order to accomplish all necessary tasks.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, negotiation and organizational skills with a clear focus under pressure.
- Be independent and thorough in examination and analysis, alongside results oriented.
- Resourceful, action-orientated with the ability to get things done and overcome obstacles.
- Software engineering experience, including hands-on technical management.
Back to top