Technical Program Manager, Search Online Metrics and Logging
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Technical Program Managers in Search lead cross-team engineering efforts for Facebook that help People find and discover People and Content that they care about. Our Metrics & Evaluations Platform team builds online and offline metrics and evaluation platform that enable high scale machine learned Search ranking. This is a core part that powers the ranking of the Search suggestions as well as Results Pages. In this position, you will build the roadmap and lead the engineering execution defining and operationalizing all online metrics across search. This is a core and critical part of Search because many of the team's ranking models are based on high scale Machine Learning techniques. You will work closely with some of the world's most talented Ranking/Product Engineers, Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Researchers and Product Managers to define the long term vision and feature requirements for the team. You'll also provide cross team and executive presentations to gain buy-in from key stakeholders. Search Technical Program Managers are a group of passionate individuals who go deep on learning their teams' systems and then leverage this technical knowledge to influence and drive cross-team projects and roadmaps. The Search TPM works horizontally to create long term value for Facebook Search by promoting the right technologies for productivity, stability, and growth. New hires in this role go through engineering bootcamp and are expected to build an overarching understanding of the whole system architecture and are embedded into the engineering and PM organization. As peers to Engineering Managers and Product Managers, Search TPMs heavily contribute to planning, negotiating cross-team dependencies, representing the voice of the customer, and are expected to shine as a valuable addition to the Search organization.
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals and milestones of your team
- Define and own metrics and key performance indicators
- Build subject matter expertise in your area and stay up to date on technological developments
- Determine who your customers are and communicate technical requirements to teams you depend on
- Reduce surprises during execution and own progress reporting
- Work with PM and Engineering to define your team's strategy
- Make your technical stack transparent with great data sets, reporting and documentation
- B.S. in a technical discipline or equivalent experience
- At least 4 years of software engineering, systems engineering or similar experience, in addition to project/program management experience
- At least 2 years of experience working on services applying machine learning or related approaches
- At least 1 year of experience in Search or related Metrics/Ranking experience (e.g. Ads, Recommendations etc)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top